Construction season kicks off in Akron area
Coventry, Green, New Franklin get state projects
GREATER AKRON — Work has begun on some of the more than $100 million in road construction projects this year in Summit County.
The Ohio Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) District 4 officials announced its slate of work for the year April 10, which includes new projects in Coventry, Green and New Franklin.
There are $24.8 million in currently active projects in the county, with another $79.5 million planned for this year, according to District 4 Deputy Director Anthony Urankar, for a total of $104.3 million in roadwork.
This year the agency is continuing an effort to be business friendly by stepping up efforts to notify businesses affected by major projects. Locally, ODOT has communicated with businesses along the state Route 93 corridor as construction was about to begin there, Urankar said.
“This partnership between ODOT and local business has ensured that large construction projects can occur in a business heavy environment and still keep Ohio’s economy moving forward,” Urankar said.
Justin Chesnic, ODOT District 4 public information officer, said about 100 Closure Notification Brochures were distributed in the area to let businesses know about the project so they could be prepared and notify customers.
“Before the project starts, we go out a week to 10 days before and visit,” he said. “We look at areas that have a lot of businesses, and if there are side-street closures or long-term closures, we let them know it’s coming their way.”
Here’s a rundown of ODOT’s 2013 projects in the South Side News Leader area and their current statuses:
- Coventry: Work started this month on state Route 93, Manchester Road, to widen the road to five lanes from south of Robinson Avenue to north of Cormany Road. The $7.9 million project also includes widening and improvements to Robinson Avenue at Route 93. ODOT officials said a minimum of one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction at all times. Robinson Avenue will have various closures at Route 93. Currently, Robinson is closed just east of Route 93 through early May. The detour is Route 93 to Portage Lakes Drive to Cormany Road. Additional short-term side-street closures also will occur. All detours will be posted. The project is set for completion in August 2014.
- Green: Resurfacing of state Route 619 is expected to begin in late spring and will continue through October. The project will see work from the eastern New Franklin corporation limit to the Stark County line. In addition, the $1.5 million project includes the replacement of the bridge over the Tuscarawas River and the replacement of a culvert east of Myersville Road. ODOT officials said the road will be closed for 28 days because of that. The closure has not yet been scheduled, Chesnic said. At all other times, traffic will be maintained with flaggers.
- New Franklin: State Route 619 in New Franklin also will be the site of a $2 million widening project. The road will be widened at state Route 93 to include left-turn lanes and signal upgrades. The road will be closed for 90 days east of Route 93 and then another 90 days west of Route 93, for a total of 180 days. Detours will be posted. The $1.3 million project will get under way this spring and be completed in November.
- Akron: Drivers on Interstates 76 and 77 in Akron will see resurfacing of I-76 at the central interchange and on I-77 from the Kenmore leg to state Route 162, Copley Road. The project also includes two bridge overlays on I-76 eastbound and westbound at the central interchange over I-77 northbound and state Route 8. ODOT officials said weekend ramp closures will occur during the project this summer, but they will be timed so they do not conflict with major events, such as the All-American Soap Box Derby. Detours will be posted. The $1.4 million project will be completed in August.
For more information, go to www.dot.state.oh.us and click on “District 4.”
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014
- Project Ujima Wellness Circle - 7/26/2014
- Akron Arts Expo - 7/26/2014
- Gentle Yoga for Seniors - 7/26/2014
- NEOS Dance Theatre - 7/26/2014