Coventry holds third community meeting
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
About 25 people attended the two-hour presentation at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Civic Center and debated the issue with district officials and with each other.
District Treasurer Aaron Butts and Superintendent Russell Chaboudy, shown above, discussed the reasoning behind the combined issue. They explained the issue — with $11 million being offered by the state — specifically would fund improvements to the district’s deteriorating facilities and the construction of a new high school. Money generated also would be used to pay down the district’s debt associated with the maintenance of the schools, Butts said.
The 34-year bond issue and levy would cost $15.29 a month for someone younger than 65 who owns a home valued at $100,000, the treasurer has said. The cost for someone older than 65 who owns a $100,000 home would be $11.47 per month, he has said.
A question-and-answer period also was held.
Butt said officials specifically addressed the district’s stand on open enrollment, which allows tax money to follow a student to a district other than his or her own.
Voters who still have questions regarding the combined levy and bond issue are encouraged to contact the treasurer’s office at 330-644-1435.
More information on the levy also can be found at www.supportcoventry.com.
— By Emily Chesnic
More Community News
- Akron Council hears campaign limit concerns
- Litchfield students tops at robotics event
- Summit County to get neighbors’ surplus
- Buchtel community solving problems together
- Re-entry program offers work for newly released
- Annual budget process underway in Fairlawn
- Bath trustees approve items related to construction projects
- Boston trustees discuss water options
- Trustees support new drugstore site
- Thanksgiving Day race benefiting homeless, hungry
- Corathers named Veteran of the Year
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Case Ambassadors help in school, community
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend to speak at ACF event
- Local ceremony honors veterans
- Programs for bereaved available
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Thanksgiving Story Time: for ages 2-5 - 11/20/2014
- “Maleficent" - 11/20/2014
- Doug DuBois - 11/20/2014
- Highland Book Club: “The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry,” by Gabrielle Zevin - 11/20/2014
- Tales for Tots - 11/20/2014