Coventry holds third community meeting
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
About 25 people attended the two-hour presentation at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Civic Center and debated the issue with district officials and with each other.
District Treasurer Aaron Butts and Superintendent Russell Chaboudy, shown above, discussed the reasoning behind the combined issue. They explained the issue — with $11 million being offered by the state — specifically would fund improvements to the district’s deteriorating facilities and the construction of a new high school. Money generated also would be used to pay down the district’s debt associated with the maintenance of the schools, Butts said.
The 34-year bond issue and levy would cost $15.29 a month for someone younger than 65 who owns a home valued at $100,000, the treasurer has said. The cost for someone older than 65 who owns a $100,000 home would be $11.47 per month, he has said.
A question-and-answer period also was held.
Butt said officials specifically addressed the district’s stand on open enrollment, which allows tax money to follow a student to a district other than his or her own.
Voters who still have questions regarding the combined levy and bond issue are encouraged to contact the treasurer’s office at 330-644-1435.
More information on the levy also can be found at www.supportcoventry.com.
— By Emily Chesnic
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014