Mayor creates Fitness Challenge
RICHFIELD — Registration for Richfield Village’s first annual Mayor’s Fitness Challenge has begun.
To complete the challenge, participants need to log at least 40 half-hour fitness activities between now and Richfield Community Day, Aug. 11.
“The goal is to encourage and support all individuals in the community who want to improve their health and fitness while making lifestyle changes,” according to Mayor Bobbie Beshara.
Individuals need to register before May 15 to participate, which can be done at the Richfield Branch Library, 3761 S. Grant St.; Richfield Recreation Center, 3333 Brecksville Road; or Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road; or by emailing the mayor at email@example.com.
Registration forms are available at all three locations and online at www.richfieldvillageohio.org.
Also, the first 100 people to sign up at the Town Hall or by emailing her will receive a free pedometer from University Hospitals (UH) Ahuja Medical Center, and some are still left, according to Beshara.
Successful participants also will receive a T-shirt at Community Day Aug. 11 from UH Ahuja’s tent. People should indicate their T-shirt sizes when they register, said Beshara.
Beshara will be participating in the challenge herself, she said. So far, she’s been walking, she said, but she plans to try each of the fitness options listed on the registration form at least once, she added.
Nirvana Yoga, Ladies First Fitness, Richfield Wellness and Holistic Center, Richfield Chiropractic Center and COREdination Pilates are all included in the list of local businesses offering discounts on classes and programs during the challenge, and participants just need to present their registration form to receive offers, said Beshara. Beshara suggested contacting the businesses listed to make an appointment before showing up. Also, other discounts may be added, she noted.
Beshara added the challenge offers an opportunity to work on getting fit, get out in the community and spend time with others. The mayor said she came up with the idea for the challenge in reaction to winter.
“I’m really not a cold-weather person,” she said, adding during the winter, she couldn’t wait to get outside in warmer weather.
The Mayor’s Challenge hopefully will encourage others like her who have spent much of the cold season indoors to get outside, she said.
Beshara also said she wants to give people the opportunity to take weekend walks with her. She said she will post notifications on the village’s website and Facebook page where and when she will be out walking at least every other weekend on a Saturday or Sunday. She’ll try to give people about 48 hours’ notice for the walks, she said.
Also, UH Ahuja will present free health talks at Richfield Town Hall during the challenge, starting May 6 with Dr. Roy Buchinsky, UH Ahuja’s director of wellness, on “So what’s new with wellness?” Other dates planned for presentations are June 10 and July 8, with all scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
The Mayor’s Fitness Challenge is an opportunity to make “a goal that I believe most people can accomplish if they want to,” said Beshara.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Owl Prowl - 12/2/2016
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016