Copley trustees OK contract to demolish nuisance buildings
Copley Township is moving forward with the state’s Moving Ohio Forward program to demolish abandoned or blighted properties.
Township trustees at the April 17 meeting approved a $57,550 contract with Bennett Construction for asbestos removal and demolition of seven structures in the township. The properties include 3001 Copley Road, 2885 Copley Road, 2973 Copley Road, 2682 Kibler Road, 2688 Kibler Road, 2698 Kibler Road and 2706 Kibler Road. The cost of the demolition will be offset by a Moving Ohio Forward grant. Costs also will be assessed to the property owners. The project tentatively is scheduled to begin May 20, according to the contract.
Trustees also approved a $7,250 purchase order to repair Ansley Court in the West Ridge Estates Allotment. Service Director Mark Mitchell said the repair was the result of a sinkhole on the street.
After receiving input from the Summit County Engineer’s Office, trustees are ruling out sidewalks on Misty Lane. A group of Misty Lane residents earlier submitted a petition requesting sidewalks. Trustees said, after study, the project, which would be funded through assessments to residents on the street, would not go forward. Trustees said not all residents of Misty Lane wanted sidewalks. Further, they said the sidewalks, which would have to be constructed outside the road right-of-way, would to be too costly.
In other business:
- Trustees continue to approve requests for equipment to outfit the Southwest Summit Communications Center in Norton. As fiscal agent for the project, Copley Township is responsible for issuing payment for the center’s expenses. The costs are offset by a $300,000 loan and are shared equally among the three entities — Copley, Barberton and Norton. Trustees approved equipment purchases of more than $270,000 at the meeting. The joint dispatch center is expected to open after July 1, said Copley Fire Chief Michael Benson.
- Benson was given permission to accept a $108,061 federal Assistance to Firefighters grant to be used for purchase of three heart monitor/defibrillator units costing $113,748. The local match, appropriated earlier, is $5,687. Benson said the new units would be placed in the township’s ambulances and the outdated units would be moved to the township’s fire trucks.
- Trustees also approved accepting nine pet oxygen masks. Two mask kits were donated to the Fire Department by the Barberton High School Four-City Compact nursing students and Invisible Fence’s Project Breathe. The remaining seven mask kits were donated to the Police Department by Project Breathe.
In other action, trustees:
√ amended the township sanitary district resolution to require all licensed trash haulers to provide recycling service for single-family and multi-family units in the township;
√ approved the donation of two fully stocked active shooter response bags and supplies to stock 10 first aid kits from Brian Abbot, of Abbot Custom Woodworking and Remodel LLC;
√ approved fire and police training;
√ extended by four months the leave of absence for part-time firefighter Konrad Becker; and
√ approved the expenditure of $10,160 in previously received grant monies for fire officer and instructor training at The University of Akron.
The board’s next regular meeting will take place May 1 at 6 p.m. at the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Akron proposes city construction company
- Flowers herald coming spring
- County joining fight against mail sorting office closure
- Woodridge ‘big loser’ in proposed state budget
- New Revere superintendent ready for challenge
- West Side News & Notes
- Summit County marking 175 years
- Women’s Endowment Fund awards grants
- Presentation on student use of electronics planned
- Peninsula library offering March classes
- BVS hosting blood drive
- Bath OKs raise for park employees with additional training
- Boston facing salt shortage
- Altrusa International hosting prom dress event
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report
Calendar of Events
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers - 3/5/2015
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 3/5/2015
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Kickoff Party - 3/6/2015