WHNO unveils new Don Drumm-designed West Hill flags
|WHNO commissioned these flag designs by local artist Don Drumm.|
|Photos courtesy of the West Hill Neighborhood Organization|
WEST AKRON — The West Hill Neighborhood Organization (WHNO) has commissioned two new West Hill flags designed by artist Don Drumm. The flags will be unveiled May 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Every Blooming Thing, 1079 W. Exchange St.
One flag is large enough to fly from a house or a building with grommets, and the other is designed to fly from a flagpole, according to WHNO officials. The flags will be available for sale for $30 each. Additionally, T-shirts with the Drumm design will be available at $20 each, with proceeds going to WHNO for community projects to benefit the West Hill area.
The flag is intended to foster pride in the West Hill community and to distinguish the area as a neighborhood, much the way the Ohio City flag does in Cleveland, according to WHNO officials.
Also at the May 7 flag unveiling, Scott Sella, owner of Every Blooming Thing and host of this event, will share his secrets to container gardening success with a free demonstration. There will be light hors d’oeuvres and refreshments available. A short WHNO membership meeting will take place near the close of the event. All are welcome to stay to hear a recap of the organization’s activities; members only will vote on proposed changes to the by-laws.
This celebratory event marks the kickoff of WHNO’s More Dirty Little Secrets Garden Tour, which will take place June 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. The May 7 event also will be the first day to purchase tickets for the Garden Tour, which will feature residential and community gardens and urban spaces in West Hill. As an added bonus, those who purchase a flag and go on the June 15 garden tour will have an opportunity to have Drumm sign their flag in his featured garden under his magnolia tree.
More Community News
- Dam removal leads to changes in river
- Menorah lights aglow
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- Akron Council swears in two members early
- Local jumpers jazz up Macy’s Parade
- West Side News & Notes
- Giant Eagle requesting permit to expand beer, wine department
- Norton approves funds for building projects
- Bath trustees OK purchase of land near Bath Center site
- Boston trustees approve police contract with Peninsula
- Granger Fire purchasing equipment for EMS reports
- Sharon trustees continue to debate donations to SPCA
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Fall tax tips from IRS
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Messy Playdate! - 12/5/2013
- “Employees’ Entrance” - 12/5/2013
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Papercuts: A Poetic Interplay of Light and Shadow - 12/6/2013