Green planning for road construction projects
GREEN — Green city officials announced more than 30 lane miles will be repaved in Green this construction season. The projects include:
- Greensburg Road West: Greensburg Road between Steese and Shriver roads was reduced to one lane May 1 and will continue for three to four working days. Summit County Sheriff’s Office deputies are directing traffic. Steese Road at Greensburg Road will be closed beginning May 6 for three weeks to complete reconstruction of the intersection. Greensburg Road will remain open. The posted detour is Greensburg to King Road to Shriver to Steese roads. Motorists will experience some delays along Greensburg Road during the 90-day project, which in addition to the reconstruction of the intersection at Steese Road will include the repaving of Greensburg Road from South Arlington Road to just past Shriver Road.
- Greensburg Road East: Greensburg Road east of Massillon Road to the east corporate limits will be resurfaced this summer.
- East Turkeyfoot Lake Road/state Route 619: This Ohio Department of Transportation project includes a bridge replacement (just east of the railroad near Spade Road), as well as the repaving of the entire section of state Route 619 in Green. There are two anticipated road closures between Spade Road and the east city limits to replace the bridge and culvert work. These closures will take place in the summer for approximately 30 days.
- South Arlington Road: South Arlington Road from Nimisila Road to the southern corporation line at Mount Pleasant will be repaved beginning in early June. In addition, two small projects near Interstate 77 along South Arlington Road will be completed in late summer. The first is the reconstruction of Arlington Ridge East (just past Taco Bell and McDonald’s). The other is a segment of roadway under the I-77 overpass, which will be reconstructed with sidewalks.
- Steese Road: A small section of Steese Road from Shriver Road east to the roundabout on Massillon Road will be reconstructed with a central turn lane and sidewalks added. This project is expected to begin in July.
- Shriver Road: The entire section of Shriver Road from Steese Road to Greensburg Road will be repaved. Sidewalks will be added to the east side of the road from Steese Road to Portage Lakes Career Center. Curbs and storm sewers will be added to this section as well.
- Heckman Road: The entire length of Heckman Road in Green will be repaved in late summer.
- Global Gateway: This entirely new road will connect the existing Global Gateway to Greensburg Road, with construction scheduled to begin in August and completed in 2014.
“With the amount of road work we have this summer, there will be multiple projects occurring simultaneously,” said City Engineer Paul Pickett. “It is conceivable that those travelling through our city will encounter multiple road projects and delays.”
With the exception of the three scheduled closures at Steese and Greensburg roads in May and state Route 619 (two closure zones), all traffic will be maintained with some delays, according to city officials.
The latest construction information is available at www.cityofgreen.org. The city also will be posting information on the city’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cityofgreenohio, as well as sending out regular email alerts. To sign up for email alerts, visit the city’s website.
“The nature of construction coupled with the uncertainty of weather makes it somewhat difficult to predict schedules and timelines,” said Pickett.
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The Help - 9/19/2014
- Medina County Story Fest - 9/20/2014
- A Vision to Share, a Story to Tell - 9/20/2014
- “Deadly Murder” - 9/20/2014
- Using Ancestry in Your Genealogy Research - 9/20/2014