Officials practice Iron Channel gate closing
COVENTRY — Officials gathered April 24 for a drill on closing the Iron Channel gate separating the East Reservoir and West Reservoir near Edge Park.
According to Portage Lakes State Park Manager Jim Seikel, the drill involved officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and the Akron Canal Hydraulic operators. Seikel explained the gate generally stays open, but occasionally officials get together to practice closing it.
Officials are pictured above inspecting the gate prior to its closing. Seikel said the effort to close the gate “is a challenge” because of the silt build-up at the gate.
Shown at right, from front to back, are ODNR’s Ron Myers and Josh Garrettson using compressed air to clear silt away from gate base.
Shown below are ODNR Engineering Division’s Jake Preston, at left, and Hung Thai watching as the gate is closed.
The gate was built to close the channel during emergencies such as floods or dam failures, according to Seikel.
— Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014
- Campfire: Northern Cheyenne Indians - 10/23/2014
- GriefCare Place - 10/23/2014
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014