Officials practice Iron Channel gate closing
COVENTRY — Officials gathered April 24 for a drill on closing the Iron Channel gate separating the East Reservoir and West Reservoir near Edge Park.
According to Portage Lakes State Park Manager Jim Seikel, the drill involved officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and the Akron Canal Hydraulic operators. Seikel explained the gate generally stays open, but occasionally officials get together to practice closing it.
Officials are pictured above inspecting the gate prior to its closing. Seikel said the effort to close the gate “is a challenge” because of the silt build-up at the gate.
Shown at right, from front to back, are ODNR’s Ron Myers and Josh Garrettson using compressed air to clear silt away from gate base.
Shown below are ODNR Engineering Division’s Jake Preston, at left, and Hung Thai watching as the gate is closed.
The gate was built to close the channel during emergencies such as floods or dam failures, according to Seikel.
— Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Mayor focuses on health care, environment
- Mustill Store opens for new season
- Norton voters to decide charter amendments
- Sheriff’s deputies receiving raises
- Council president refuses to mix with EACH investigation
- Fairlawn City Council OKs new deal with city’s police officers
- Richfield Village chief thanks employees for outfitting cruisers
- Trustees discuss concerns over crusher
- Bath approves new recycling agreement
- Copley looking for new bids for Community Center demolition
- Financial literacy classes offered
- Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
- GCEF awards funds for local Gay Games projects
- West Side News & Notes
- Development to offer luxury apartments
- Green seniors enjoy annual social
- Manchester district seeking renewal of levy
- New Franklin finance director now full time
- Sheriff’s deputies to receive raises
- South Side News & Notes
- Spring cleaning on tap for Lakemore
- Coventry school board places extended levy renewal on ballot
- Nimisila Reservoir Spring Cleanup coming
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 4/16/2014
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group - 4/16/2014
- Helen Welch - 4/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 4/17/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 4/17/2014