Officials practice Iron Channel gate closing
COVENTRY — Officials gathered April 24 for a drill on closing the Iron Channel gate separating the East Reservoir and West Reservoir near Edge Park.
According to Portage Lakes State Park Manager Jim Seikel, the drill involved officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and the Akron Canal Hydraulic operators. Seikel explained the gate generally stays open, but occasionally officials get together to practice closing it.
Officials are pictured above inspecting the gate prior to its closing. Seikel said the effort to close the gate “is a challenge” because of the silt build-up at the gate.
Shown at right, from front to back, are ODNR’s Ron Myers and Josh Garrettson using compressed air to clear silt away from gate base.
Shown below are ODNR Engineering Division’s Jake Preston, at left, and Hung Thai watching as the gate is closed.
The gate was built to close the channel during emergencies such as floods or dam failures, according to Seikel.
— Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 2/22/2017
- “Saturday Night Fever — The Musical” - 2/22/2017
- Hydration in Older Adults - 2/22/2017
- Meet Me in the Garden - 2/22/2017
- Fiber Art Open Studio - 2/22/2017