Officials practice Iron Channel gate closing
COVENTRY — Officials gathered April 24 for a drill on closing the Iron Channel gate separating the East Reservoir and West Reservoir near Edge Park.
According to Portage Lakes State Park Manager Jim Seikel, the drill involved officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and the Akron Canal Hydraulic operators. Seikel explained the gate generally stays open, but occasionally officials get together to practice closing it.
Officials are pictured above inspecting the gate prior to its closing. Seikel said the effort to close the gate “is a challenge” because of the silt build-up at the gate.
Shown at right, from front to back, are ODNR’s Ron Myers and Josh Garrettson using compressed air to clear silt away from gate base.
Shown below are ODNR Engineering Division’s Jake Preston, at left, and Hung Thai watching as the gate is closed.
The gate was built to close the channel during emergencies such as floods or dam failures, according to Seikel.
— Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014