Officials practice Iron Channel gate closing
COVENTRY — Officials gathered April 24 for a drill on closing the Iron Channel gate separating the East Reservoir and West Reservoir near Edge Park.
According to Portage Lakes State Park Manager Jim Seikel, the drill involved officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and the Akron Canal Hydraulic operators. Seikel explained the gate generally stays open, but occasionally officials get together to practice closing it.
Officials are pictured above inspecting the gate prior to its closing. Seikel said the effort to close the gate “is a challenge” because of the silt build-up at the gate.
Shown at right, from front to back, are ODNR’s Ron Myers and Josh Garrettson using compressed air to clear silt away from gate base.
Shown below are ODNR Engineering Division’s Jake Preston, at left, and Hung Thai watching as the gate is closed.
The gate was built to close the channel during emergencies such as floods or dam failures, according to Seikel.
— Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
Calendar of Events
- “Finding Dory” - 12/8/2016
- Felted Beaded Necklace - 12/8/2016
- University of Akron Chamber Orchestra - 12/8/2016
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/8/2016
- Baby Play - 12/8/2016