New lion makes Akron debut
During a visit May 2, Anthony Acomb, 5, of Stow, had the chance to get close to the zoo’s newest resident, as shown above.
The lioness is not the only new feature at the zoo for 2013. Coming soon is the Mike and Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge exhibit area. Construction on the new exhibit is progressing, as shown at right.
Grizzly Ridge will be one of the largest openings in the zoo’s 60-year history, zoo officials said, and will include more than six different animal species, highlighted by grizzly bears. Grizzly Ridge also will include some animals never seen before at the Akron Zoo, including red wolves and coyotes. River otters and bald eagles, which were previously at the zoo, will make their return with new exhibits. The space also will include a walk-in aviary with native Ohio birds. It’s slated to open July 20.
The zoo is now open with its summer hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For more information, go to www.akronzoo.org.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Evening Retirement Series - 3/10/2014
- Anchoring - 3/10/2014
- A Far Cry with Matt Haimovitz - 3/11/2014
- Mudcakes - 3/11/2014
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 3/12/2014