New lion makes Akron debut
During a visit May 2, Anthony Acomb, 5, of Stow, had the chance to get close to the zoo’s newest resident, as shown above.
The lioness is not the only new feature at the zoo for 2013. Coming soon is the Mike and Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge exhibit area. Construction on the new exhibit is progressing, as shown at right.
Grizzly Ridge will be one of the largest openings in the zoo’s 60-year history, zoo officials said, and will include more than six different animal species, highlighted by grizzly bears. Grizzly Ridge also will include some animals never seen before at the Akron Zoo, including red wolves and coyotes. River otters and bald eagles, which were previously at the zoo, will make their return with new exhibits. The space also will include a walk-in aviary with native Ohio birds. It’s slated to open July 20.
The zoo is now open with its summer hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For more information, go to www.akronzoo.org.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Voices in the Valley: The Womack Family Band - 8/1/2014
- Family Fun Night - 8/1/2014
- Social Bingo Days - 8/1/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014
- RadiatriX with The Living and VON Isley - 8/2/2014