New lion makes Akron debut
During a visit May 2, Anthony Acomb, 5, of Stow, had the chance to get close to the zoo’s newest resident, as shown above.
The lioness is not the only new feature at the zoo for 2013. Coming soon is the Mike and Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge exhibit area. Construction on the new exhibit is progressing, as shown at right.
Grizzly Ridge will be one of the largest openings in the zoo’s 60-year history, zoo officials said, and will include more than six different animal species, highlighted by grizzly bears. Grizzly Ridge also will include some animals never seen before at the Akron Zoo, including red wolves and coyotes. River otters and bald eagles, which were previously at the zoo, will make their return with new exhibits. The space also will include a walk-in aviary with native Ohio birds. It’s slated to open July 20.
The zoo is now open with its summer hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For more information, go to www.akronzoo.org.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014