New lion makes Akron debut
During a visit May 2, Anthony Acomb, 5, of Stow, had the chance to get close to the zoo’s newest resident, as shown above.
The lioness is not the only new feature at the zoo for 2013. Coming soon is the Mike and Mary Stark Grizzly Ridge exhibit area. Construction on the new exhibit is progressing, as shown at right.
Grizzly Ridge will be one of the largest openings in the zoo’s 60-year history, zoo officials said, and will include more than six different animal species, highlighted by grizzly bears. Grizzly Ridge also will include some animals never seen before at the Akron Zoo, including red wolves and coyotes. River otters and bald eagles, which were previously at the zoo, will make their return with new exhibits. The space also will include a walk-in aviary with native Ohio birds. It’s slated to open July 20.
The zoo is now open with its summer hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For more information, go to www.akronzoo.org.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015
- Yoga for Kids: ages 6-10 - 5/30/2015
- Archery Games for Kids: ages 9-12 - 5/30/2015
- Warm and Hot in Peninsula - 5/30/2015
- Doo Wop Legends in Concert - 5/30/2015