Hindu temple welcomes public for opening celebrations
|The exterior of the Sree Venkateswara Temple, which is nearly completed.|
The Hindu temple, at 4406 Brecksville Road in Richfield, will host its grand opening and Prana Pratishnapanam Celebrations May 22-28.
Dr. Ram Bandi, of Bath, who is chairman of the temple’s Board of Trustees, said the community is happy the project is nearing completion. Local Hindus have mostly met in homes or traveled to a temple in Pittsburgh for worship and special events, he said.
“It’s been a seven-year process and lot of things to do,” Bandi said. “It’s exciting that we don’t have to travel all the way to Pittsburgh.”
|Workers were on-site to complete the Sree Venkateswara Temple’s main floor this week.|
|Photos: Ken Crisafi|
Bandi said a priest is living in a home that already was on the property.
In the Hindu faith, Venkateswara is the form of the Hindu deity Vishnu. Bandi added that Hindus do not gather for services at a particular time and day like some faiths do. They go to the temple when they like, and the priest conducts a service that lasts about 15 minutes. The temple also will be used for special events and occasions, Bandi said.
The grand-opening-week events will begin May 22 from 5 to 8 p.m. Through May 28, events will take place in the mornings and in the evenings. Bandi said there would be music and dancing and food provided at no cost for lunch and dinner.
He added that all are welcome to come and see the new building.
“We’re open to anybody who wants to come and visit,” he said. “We welcome all the public. We want to have harmony and peace. That’s what we believe in.”
For more information, call 330-576-7676 or go to balajiusa.org.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014