Granger fiscal officer retiring in July
At the May 8 Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting, attendees expressed surprise and disappointment as Trustee John Ginley announced the retirement of Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach.
He said Beach will retire July 31. He and the other trustees discussed advertising for the fiscal officer position, saying the deadline for applications for the job will be May 31 so the board can start interviews at the beginning of June.
Beach explained applicants for executive officer must be a Granger Township resident and registered voter at least 18 years of age.
In other business, the board:
√ approved a $29,630 bid by Lytle Construction, of Wooster, for repairs and berming every major township road.
√ agreed to spend approximately $1,500 for replacement clothing for Fire Department employees before Memorial Day.
√ approved the purchase of an inverter for approximately $1,600 for the rescue squad.
√ approved the rental of a portable restroom for $552 for the Granger Township Park.
Also at the meeting:
- Chris Szelag, of the Medina County Auditor’s Office, reported the Pet Adopt-a-Thon held May 4 at the Medina National Guard Armory was successful. She said more than 20 animals were adopted before 1 p.m. that day.
- Sexton Rita Feess reported two full burials and one foundation were completed within the past month.
- Neal Sylvester, of the Service Department, discussed road maintenance projects done within the past month, including picking up gravel on cul-de-sacs on Rocky Hollow and Huntley drives, seeding graves and blacktopping and cleaning up roads.
Sylvester also reported the township currently has 350 to 400 tons of salt in the shed.
Sylvester also addressed concerns regarding water crossing portions of Wilbur Road near some driveways. He said berming the road should solve the problem.
- Fire Chief Jim Paulett shared photos taken at a call of a lightning strike at 2619 Remsen Road May 8. He reported no one was injured.
Paulett reported 29 EMS calls and 23 fire calls occurred in April.
Paulett also announced the Fire Department will hold a training session at a residential structure on Beachler Road sometime in the next week.
- Trustee Teri Berry addressed a resident’s concern as to whether any home occupation permits were available. She said the township currently does not have any permits.
- Ginley reported plans for Granger’s Memorial Day ceremony have been finalized. It will take place on the morning of Monday, May 27.
- Beach read a thank-you letter the Fire Department sent to the trustees for their support at the Fire Department Instructors Conference.
Beach also reported she received an announcement regarding the Medina Township Flag Day Event June 8 at 4 p.m. at Blakeslee Park, 3718 Weymouth Road.
Beach also addressed the possibility of purchasing a high-definition converter box for the Fire Department’s training room. Ginley said he will research the costs of the equipment before the board makes a decision.
- After an executive session following the meeting, the board agreed to pay an $800 EMT training fee for James Kuruc.
The next Granger trustees’ meeting is scheduled for May 28 at 4 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/29/2015
- Pond Exploration for Kids - 7/29/2015
- Wanda Hunt Band - 7/29/2015
- Retirement Workshop - 7/29/2015
- Family Programming - 7/29/2015