Seventh Neighbors Day Akron set for May 25
AKRON — Akron’s Seventh Annual Neighbors Day will be May 25.
Neighbors Day Akron is designed to help residents get to know one another, especially those in closest proximity. The intention is that when neighbors get to know each other, friendlier, safer neighborhoods will follow.
“Neighbors Day is a concept that I saw in action while conducting business in other countries,” said Mayor Don Plusquellic. “Residents throughout Europe all host Neighbors Day, bringing their residents closer together to promote peaceful living. I wanted to do the same for our residents. I truly believe that the closer we are as a community and the more we know our neighbors, the less violence we will experience in our neighborhoods.”
Residents are encouraged to host an event such as inviting neighbors over for tea or coffee, hosting a cookout with people from the block, organizing a pot luck picnic or an ice cream social, hosting games or sports for neighbor children (adults can mingle while the children play), organizing a neighborhood cleanup day, weeding or planting flowers in a public space or for a neighbor in need, organizing a street party (application and permit required) or planning an event that fits your personality and your neighborhood.
Faith-based organizations also are scheduling community outreach programs for Neighbors Day, with many organizations’ representatives planning to attend neighborhood events.
Those who decide to plan a neighborhood activity event should register their events by calling 3-1-1, the city’s Information Center, between 6:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. (From any residential phone inside Akron, press 3-1-1. All other phones, call 330-375-2311).
Residents also may register and learn more at www.neighborsdayakron.org.
Upon registering with the city, organizers will gain access to the following benefits, among others:
- Organizers can get help and access to city services needed to make the event a success, like mowing a green space. (Street closure applications needed to be submitted by May 10.)
- Registered Neighbors Day captains will be permitted additional trash bags outside of their city containers to be picked up on their regularly scheduled pick-up day following the May 25 gathering.
- Invitations and fliers will be provided to tell where the Neighbors Day event is being held. Organizers add their names, addresses and time of their events so neighbors know when and where to arrive.
The city, in conjunction with outside businesses and/or organizations, is sponsoring 12 sites. People living near these sites are encouraged to attend the event in their area.
In the West Side Leader’s coverage area, those sites include:
√ Ed Davis Community Center, 730 Perkins Park Drive, noon to 2 p.m., sponsored by Papa John’s Pizza on Waterloo Road;
√ Woodland United Methodist Church, 444 N. Hawkins Ave. For event time, call 330-836-9777; and
√ Lawton Street Community Center, 1225 Lawton St., noon to 4 p.m., sponsored by Papa John’s Pizza on West Market Street.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Holiday programs put out call for volunteers
- Tree Festival makes spirits bright
- Council hears title bureau considered on west side
- Woodridge begins study of facility needs
- Buchtel grad shares love of yoga on visit
- Council OKs lot; Metro Parks plans bike trail
- Water rates subsiding for Ward 8 residents
- Richfield Village Council to honor Revere boys soccer team
- Richfield trustees reject bids for office project
- Copley trustees move ahead with police station plans
- Hospice of VNS volunteer wins statewide award
- LaRose honors Revere state soccer champs
- Farming classes offered
- NBDTF hosts Luncheon With the Mayor
- West Side News & Notes
- Tree Festival makes spirits bright
- Green eyeing ‘conservative’ 2014 budget
- PLCC Board of Education set to change
- Reserves still part of county budget plans
- Angel Trees branching out to new location
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Apollo’s Fire - 12/4/2013
- E-Readers? What to Buy - 12/4/2013
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/5/2013
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Messy Playdate! - 12/5/2013