Springfield applying for grants
The Springfield Board of Trustees approved the application of two grants for the Police Department and one for the township’s recycling program at the May 9 meeting.
One of the police grants is the department’s annual application for the Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program, which is a 50 percent reimbursement grant for four ballistic vests from Pro-Tech. The total cost is $3,060 for the vests, with $1,530 being eligible for reimbursement. The resolution also included permission to purchase one replacement tactical vest from Pro-Tech for $1,973, which is not eligible for any reimbursement.
The other is for an Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft, Navigational Aid Grant. The grant would pay for the purchase of additional buoys for Springfield Lake, which Volunteer Auxiliary Springfield Police Coordinator Linda Denton said would improve safety for boaters.
A third grant application is for the 2013 Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority for a Community Access Grant, which is used to set up recycling programs for the collection of paper, plastics, glass and aluminum products, with bins set up near the Senior and Community Center on Canfield Road.
In other business, trustees approved: a “then and now” purchase order of $15,534 to the Cable Board, representing 2 percent of the gross receipts for the first quarter of 2013 franchise fees from Time Warner Cable; an expenditure of $1,391 for the purchase and installation of a privacy fence for a new lakefront restroom building, which is now open to the public; and a proposal of $2,610 per year to be paid monthly to W.W. Williams for the township’s preventive maintenance and operational inspection services for its emergency tower equipment.
Also at the meeting, trustees announced potholes should be reported to the Road Department at 330-733-3213, and residential structures needing demolition should be reported to the Zoning Department at 330-794-0134.
In addition, yard waste is being accepted at Woodland Mulch and Landscape, 2194 E. Waterloo Road, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and also at Earth ’n Wood Landscape Supply, 2436 S. Arlington Road, weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a $5 fee for any amount of grass and free for leaves and branches.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will take place May 23 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, located at 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Community Day brightens up weekend in Richfield
- Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- School preparation focus of Summit for Kids
- Teen completes Akron-to-Miami cycling adventure
- West Side News & Notes
- Suspect arrested for CVNP shooting
- Junior League of Akron names award recipients
- Trustees discuss zoning issues
- Richfield Council OKs selling surplus items
- Fairlawn enacts moratorium on medical marijuana businesses
- Trustees OK contracts for windows, doors
- Trustees address fiscal matters
- Granger trustees hear about daytime burglaries
- Granger residents report break-ins
- State Route 94/Granger Road closure delayed
- Volunteer Guardian Program seeking volunteers
- Green to share political insights at Akron Woman’s City Club
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- PLCC burn building training center dedicated
- Coventry board addresses open enrollment issues
- Coventry residents rally for Kew Drive demolition
- Manchester bond issue result due Aug. 19
- South Side News & Notes
- Summit County Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- Five arrested for historic schoolhouse fire, vandalism at parksmaria
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden - 8/24/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Ernie Krivda All Star Quartet - 8/24/2016
- Tots and Treats - 8/24/2016
- A New Beginning: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016