Springfield applying for grants
The Springfield Board of Trustees approved the application of two grants for the Police Department and one for the township’s recycling program at the May 9 meeting.
One of the police grants is the department’s annual application for the Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program, which is a 50 percent reimbursement grant for four ballistic vests from Pro-Tech. The total cost is $3,060 for the vests, with $1,530 being eligible for reimbursement. The resolution also included permission to purchase one replacement tactical vest from Pro-Tech for $1,973, which is not eligible for any reimbursement.
The other is for an Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft, Navigational Aid Grant. The grant would pay for the purchase of additional buoys for Springfield Lake, which Volunteer Auxiliary Springfield Police Coordinator Linda Denton said would improve safety for boaters.
A third grant application is for the 2013 Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority for a Community Access Grant, which is used to set up recycling programs for the collection of paper, plastics, glass and aluminum products, with bins set up near the Senior and Community Center on Canfield Road.
In other business, trustees approved: a “then and now” purchase order of $15,534 to the Cable Board, representing 2 percent of the gross receipts for the first quarter of 2013 franchise fees from Time Warner Cable; an expenditure of $1,391 for the purchase and installation of a privacy fence for a new lakefront restroom building, which is now open to the public; and a proposal of $2,610 per year to be paid monthly to W.W. Williams for the township’s preventive maintenance and operational inspection services for its emergency tower equipment.
Also at the meeting, trustees announced potholes should be reported to the Road Department at 330-733-3213, and residential structures needing demolition should be reported to the Zoning Department at 330-794-0134.
In addition, yard waste is being accepted at Woodland Mulch and Landscape, 2194 E. Waterloo Road, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and also at Earth ’n Wood Landscape Supply, 2436 S. Arlington Road, weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a $5 fee for any amount of grass and free for leaves and branches.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will take place May 23 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, located at 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016
- Christmas Cards Workshop - 12/7/2016
- “Once” - 12/7/2016
- Story Time - 12/7/2016