Springfield applying for grants
The Springfield Board of Trustees approved the application of two grants for the Police Department and one for the township’s recycling program at the May 9 meeting.
One of the police grants is the department’s annual application for the Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program, which is a 50 percent reimbursement grant for four ballistic vests from Pro-Tech. The total cost is $3,060 for the vests, with $1,530 being eligible for reimbursement. The resolution also included permission to purchase one replacement tactical vest from Pro-Tech for $1,973, which is not eligible for any reimbursement.
The other is for an Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft, Navigational Aid Grant. The grant would pay for the purchase of additional buoys for Springfield Lake, which Volunteer Auxiliary Springfield Police Coordinator Linda Denton said would improve safety for boaters.
A third grant application is for the 2013 Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority for a Community Access Grant, which is used to set up recycling programs for the collection of paper, plastics, glass and aluminum products, with bins set up near the Senior and Community Center on Canfield Road.
In other business, trustees approved: a “then and now” purchase order of $15,534 to the Cable Board, representing 2 percent of the gross receipts for the first quarter of 2013 franchise fees from Time Warner Cable; an expenditure of $1,391 for the purchase and installation of a privacy fence for a new lakefront restroom building, which is now open to the public; and a proposal of $2,610 per year to be paid monthly to W.W. Williams for the township’s preventive maintenance and operational inspection services for its emergency tower equipment.
Also at the meeting, trustees announced potholes should be reported to the Road Department at 330-733-3213, and residential structures needing demolition should be reported to the Zoning Department at 330-794-0134.
In addition, yard waste is being accepted at Woodland Mulch and Landscape, 2194 E. Waterloo Road, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and also at Earth ’n Wood Landscape Supply, 2436 S. Arlington Road, weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a $5 fee for any amount of grass and free for leaves and branches.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will take place May 23 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, located at 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014