Akron Children’s breaks ground on expansion
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
According to hospital officials, it will include a new emergency department, neonatal intensive care unit with individual rooms for patients and their families, an outpatient surgery center and expanded clinical space.
Shown above is a rendering of the new building that sits by the construction site.
Also planned as part of the project is the expansion of the Ronald McDonald House of Akron to accommodate the hospital’s growth; a new six-level, 1,200-space parking deck; and a new front door for the hospital, according to hospital officials. The construction site, with work started on the parking deck, is pictured at right bottom.
Children’s Hospital CEO and President Bill Considine, Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer Grace Wakulchik and Board of Directors Chair Richard Grigg, as well as Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic, Summit County Executive Russ Pry and parent Beth Tenda, spoke at the event. They and other project and hospital officials and children are shown at right top turning over a mound of dirt sitting in front of the construction site during the groundbreaking ceremony.
According to hospital officials, two-thirds of the cost of the project will be covered through public financing and internal reserves, and the rest will come from a capital campaign to raise $50 million for the tower and $10 million for the Ronald McDonald House expansion.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017
- CrOoKeD - 1/25/2017