Akron Children’s breaks ground on expansion
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
According to hospital officials, it will include a new emergency department, neonatal intensive care unit with individual rooms for patients and their families, an outpatient surgery center and expanded clinical space.
Shown above is a rendering of the new building that sits by the construction site.
Also planned as part of the project is the expansion of the Ronald McDonald House of Akron to accommodate the hospital’s growth; a new six-level, 1,200-space parking deck; and a new front door for the hospital, according to hospital officials. The construction site, with work started on the parking deck, is pictured at right bottom.
Children’s Hospital CEO and President Bill Considine, Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer Grace Wakulchik and Board of Directors Chair Richard Grigg, as well as Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic, Summit County Executive Russ Pry and parent Beth Tenda, spoke at the event. They and other project and hospital officials and children are shown at right top turning over a mound of dirt sitting in front of the construction site during the groundbreaking ceremony.
According to hospital officials, two-thirds of the cost of the project will be covered through public financing and internal reserves, and the rest will come from a capital campaign to raise $50 million for the tower and $10 million for the Ronald McDonald House expansion.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
Calendar of Events
- Celebrate the Season - 12/19/2014
- Movie Matinee - 12/19/2014
- Tales for Tots - 12/19/2014
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014