Akron Children’s breaks ground on expansion
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
According to hospital officials, it will include a new emergency department, neonatal intensive care unit with individual rooms for patients and their families, an outpatient surgery center and expanded clinical space.
Shown above is a rendering of the new building that sits by the construction site.
Also planned as part of the project is the expansion of the Ronald McDonald House of Akron to accommodate the hospital’s growth; a new six-level, 1,200-space parking deck; and a new front door for the hospital, according to hospital officials. The construction site, with work started on the parking deck, is pictured at right bottom.
Children’s Hospital CEO and President Bill Considine, Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer Grace Wakulchik and Board of Directors Chair Richard Grigg, as well as Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic, Summit County Executive Russ Pry and parent Beth Tenda, spoke at the event. They and other project and hospital officials and children are shown at right top turning over a mound of dirt sitting in front of the construction site during the groundbreaking ceremony.
According to hospital officials, two-thirds of the cost of the project will be covered through public financing and internal reserves, and the rest will come from a capital campaign to raise $50 million for the tower and $10 million for the Ronald McDonald House expansion.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- Plein Air Exhibition - 7/30/2015
- “Jupiter Ascending” - 7/30/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/30/2015
- Mostly Blues Band with Peggy Coyle - 7/30/2015
- “Hairspray” - 7/31/2015