Akron Children’s breaks ground on expansion
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
According to hospital officials, it will include a new emergency department, neonatal intensive care unit with individual rooms for patients and their families, an outpatient surgery center and expanded clinical space.
Shown above is a rendering of the new building that sits by the construction site.
Also planned as part of the project is the expansion of the Ronald McDonald House of Akron to accommodate the hospital’s growth; a new six-level, 1,200-space parking deck; and a new front door for the hospital, according to hospital officials. The construction site, with work started on the parking deck, is pictured at right bottom.
Children’s Hospital CEO and President Bill Considine, Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer Grace Wakulchik and Board of Directors Chair Richard Grigg, as well as Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic, Summit County Executive Russ Pry and parent Beth Tenda, spoke at the event. They and other project and hospital officials and children are shown at right top turning over a mound of dirt sitting in front of the construction site during the groundbreaking ceremony.
According to hospital officials, two-thirds of the cost of the project will be covered through public financing and internal reserves, and the rest will come from a capital campaign to raise $50 million for the tower and $10 million for the Ronald McDonald House expansion.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014