Akron Children’s breaks ground on expansion
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
According to hospital officials, it will include a new emergency department, neonatal intensive care unit with individual rooms for patients and their families, an outpatient surgery center and expanded clinical space.
Shown above is a rendering of the new building that sits by the construction site.
Also planned as part of the project is the expansion of the Ronald McDonald House of Akron to accommodate the hospital’s growth; a new six-level, 1,200-space parking deck; and a new front door for the hospital, according to hospital officials. The construction site, with work started on the parking deck, is pictured at right bottom.
Children’s Hospital CEO and President Bill Considine, Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer Grace Wakulchik and Board of Directors Chair Richard Grigg, as well as Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic, Summit County Executive Russ Pry and parent Beth Tenda, spoke at the event. They and other project and hospital officials and children are shown at right top turning over a mound of dirt sitting in front of the construction site during the groundbreaking ceremony.
According to hospital officials, two-thirds of the cost of the project will be covered through public financing and internal reserves, and the rest will come from a capital campaign to raise $50 million for the tower and $10 million for the Ronald McDonald House expansion.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- State capital improvements issue on ballot
- Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
- West Akron rezoning request withdrawn
- Fundraisers for brain cancer research planned
- Eagle Scouts plan special trip to honor D-Day
- County Council considering raises for employees
- Fairlawn Police Department promotes five officers
- Peninsula Council approves agricultural district renewal
- Bath trustees conduct business for Revere students
- Dates set for annual Richfield community celebration
- Richfield trustees approve settlement for use of crusher
- Copley seeking new bids to raze Community Center
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Chuck Loeb, Everett Harp and Jeff Lorber - 4/25/2014
- Social Texas Hold ‘em for Seniors, - 4/25/2014
- Ballroom Nights - 4/25/2014
- How Sweet Was It? - 4/25/2014
- Akron Symphony Pops Orchestra - 4/25/2014