Bath prepares for park levy expiration
Bath Township Board of Trustees are preparing for the October 2014 expiration of the township parks levy.
Trustees, at the June 3 meeting, approved two resolutions requesting the Summit County Fiscal Office provide the township with estimates of revenue from a .75-mill renewal levy and a .71-mill replacement levy. The current five-year levy is for .75 mill.
Once the Fiscal Office provides estimates for the two options, trustees will decide which to place on the ballot in an upcoming election.
A renewal levy brings in the same amount of money as the expiring levy and will not raise property taxes, according to the Summit County Fiscal Office’s website. A replacement levy is calculated on current property values, the site stated.
Also on the horizon is the official adoption of names for all streams within the township. Marty Murphy, of the Friends of Yellow Creek, presented the Stream Naming Committee’s recommendations to the board. Of the 19 streams identified, only two — Yellow Creek and North Fork — are officially named by the U.S Geological Survey.
The stream naming project was conceived during a Friends of Yellow Creek meeting in 2010, Murphy said.
“The goal of the project wasn’t to make up new names, but rather to find existing names for streams in our watershed and our township,” Murphy said. Research on the project was begun by township resident Ron Czerski, who died in October 2011, Murphy said. Czerski’s family attended the meeting and was presented with a copy of the map generated by his and the committee’s work. Other committee members were Maryanne Rackoff, Norma Setteur and Trustee Elaina Goodrich.
In other action, the board:
- appointed Laura Whitfield to the township’s External Audit Committee for a five-year term through March 31, 2018. Whitfield has served for one year on the Audit Committee, filling an unexpired term;
- set the township’s 2014 budget hearing for July 15 at 3 p.m. in the trustees’ meeting room;
- approved payment of $34,496 to Montrose Ford for an F-350 truck for the Parks Department;
- accepted the nightly cleaning contract with Jani-King at a cost of $5,820 per quarter, including spring and fall carpet cleaning. The third year of the three-year contract begins July 1, according to Service Director Caine Collins; and
- approved payment of requisitions and purchase orders totaling $191,456.
Upcoming events include:
√ Summer Solstice Concert at Bath Community Activity Center, a free concert featuring Tony Fortunato and the Travis Haddix Blues Band June 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. The concert is funded by an anonymous donor, according to Pam Reitz of the Park Board;
√ Bug Walk celebrating National Pollinators Week, June 22 at 1 p.m. Meet at the Bath Nature Preserve trailhead;
√ ongoing exhibit Walk Down Memory Lane at the Bath Township Museum, 1241 N. Cleveland-Massillon Road. The exhibit features township memorabilia and photographs from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s. The museum is open from 2 to 4 p.m. Mondays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays and 10 a.m. to noon on the last Saturday of each month. The museum is open other times by appointment. Admission is free; and
√ Community Day at Bath Community Activity Center, Aug. 3.
The board’s next regular meeting will be June 17 at 4 p.m. in the trustees’meeting room of the Bath Administration Building, 3864 W. Bath Road.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014