Pallotta fills Ward 3 vacancy on Falls Council
After a repeat selection process, there officially is a new Cuyahoga Falls City Council Ward 3 representative in place.
At the June 10 Council meeting, Mayor Don Robart swore Victor Pallotta Jr. into office.
According to city officials, the Summit County Republican Central Committee (SCRCC) convened June 6 to select a successor for Ken Barnhart, who resigned May 15 after serving 15 years as the Ward 3 Councilman.
Pallotta was selected in a 4-2 vote, city officials reported.
It was announced by the Committee last month, however, that Ken Barnhart’s wife, Arden Barnhart, would fill out the remainder of her husband’s term. A voting redo took place, however, because Arden Barnhart was chosen by secret ballot and the committee felt more comfortable doing it again through a public roll call, according to the members of the committee. Through the public roll call, Arden received two votes, the committee reported.
After taking his seat on Council, Pallotta, a longtime Cuyahoga Falls resident and active community member, was assigned to the Public Affairs Committee, filling Ken Barnhart’s vacancy.
Pallotta will serve the remainder of the seat’s term, until Dec. 31, and said he plans to run for election this November.
Additionally during the meeting, Council introduced legislation that would adopt an agreement with Boston Township and Summit County for the annexation of 615 acres of land, more or less, from Boston Township to Cuyahoga Falls.
According to the proposed ordinance, the township and county conducted good faith negotiations and reached a tentative agreement on the terms and conditions for the annexation of 28 parcels of land in the vicinity of Wetmore Road.
Council also introduced legislation that would authorize:
- the Parks and Recreation Board to enter into a contract for the replacement of flooring at the Natatorium;
- the Parks and Recreation Board to enter into a contract for the lease or rental of 76 golf carts for use at the Brookledge Golf Club;
- a contract for the installation of a storm sewer and associated appurtenances in a portion of Eighth Street; and
- an encroachment permit to the Woodridge Local School District for the purpose of installing and operating a private sanitary force main sewer on Northampton and West Bath roads.
In addition at the meeting, Council authorized the “pick up” of employee retirement contributions required of eligible police and fire department employees by the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund.
Council also authorized the application and acceptance of a grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission for the replacement of existing 4-inch and 6-inch water mains with 8-inch water mains in portions of Chestnut Boulevard, Eighth Street and Olive Place.
Council will hold committee meetings June 17 and a regular meeting June 24, both beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St.
More Community News
- Officials tell Akron Council Ebola risk low
- Fun treats found at Boo at the Zoo
- Health officials mobilize in wake of Ebola concerns
- Fairlawn officials still mulling rental property changes
- Charter change on ballot in Fairlawn
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Norton approves resolutions thanking citizens for service
- Richfield trustees choose architect for service, administration center
- Trustees act on neighborhood traffic concerns
- Peninsula Council meets week after failing to make quorum
- Sharon trustees discuss solicitation incidents
- Bath trustees approve terminating agreement
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation extends support for entrepreneurship programs
- Fairlawn Heights neighbors host festival
- Sight-impaired children get tailored zoo experience
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore sets stricter open burning regs
- Coventry breaks ground on new school
- Officials defend Coventry’s open enrollment policy
- New Franklin Council appoints new clerk
- Officials tell Akron City Council Ebola risk low
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Green YMCA displaying pumpkin contest entries
- Scouts host breakfast fundraiser
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/25/2014
- Easy Street Band - 10/25/2014
- PAWS for Reading with service dog Molly - 10/25/2014
- Identifying Your Family Photographs - 10/25/2014
- Norton Women’s Club Craft and Gift Show - 10/25/2014