Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017
- CrOoKeD - 1/25/2017