Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Sewer bill relief options debated
- Firestone alums get last, first looks at schools
- Council learns of drug treatment options
- Plusquellic steps back into spotlight
- Copley-Fairlawn D.A.R.E. impact shows in essays
- West Side News & Notes
- Falls Council honors Acme with street naming award
- Trustees hear updated plan for Cuyahoga Falls-Boston JEDD area
- Norton Council discusses proposed donation of cemetery
- Falls mayor to unveil new city logo
- Richfield trustees proceed with road levy
- Granger trustees discuss zoning issues
- Food sensitivities explored
- Norton Kiwanis welcomes member, presents check
- Norton officials participate in Special Olympics Torch Run
Calendar of Events
- Fossils For Kids - 6/30/2016
- Robin Roseberry - 6/30/2016
- Art by Portage Path CLC Students - 6/30/2016
- Members’ Show - 6/30/2016
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band - 6/30/2016