Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron mayor hints at future plans
- STVM rocketry students aiming for new heights
- Council disagrees on changing felon hiring policy
- Customers may get break on sewer fees
- Akron Urban League turns 90 this year
- West Side News & Notes
- City making plans to widen South Cleveland-Massillon Road
- Falls Council approves 2015 resurfacing program
- Norton Council discussing future pump station site
- Residents hope to overturn trustees’ approval of zoning change
- Richfield officials encourage help for Project Pride Cleanup
- Richfield trustees approve revised employee handbook
- Trustees introduced to new medication dispensing program
- Bath Elementary student’s cabbage earns him scholarship
Calendar of Events
- “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” - 3/26/2015
- Biohealth Micro-Art Show - 3/26/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/26/2015
- Adventurers of the Year Amy and Dave Freeman - 3/27/2015
- Alice Tan Ridley - 3/27/2015