Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014