Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Breath and Imagination” - 3/9/2014
- Second Sunday Dance - 3/9/2014
- Evening Retirement Series - 3/10/2014
- Anchoring - 3/10/2014
- A Far Cry with Matt Haimovitz - 3/11/2014