Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The Help - 9/19/2014
- Medina County Story Fest - 9/20/2014
- A Vision to Share, a Story to Tell - 9/20/2014
- “Deadly Murder” - 9/20/2014
- Using Ancestry in Your Genealogy Research - 9/20/2014