Junior ROTC Cadets practice leadership skills
According to Junior ROTC Capt. David Wellhouse, the five-day camping session gave students the opportunity to apply leadership skills they have learned and tested their ability to follow orders.
Wellhouse said the cadets practiced skills on a rock-climbing wall, crossed a rope bridge over a stream and did other physical activities.
Pictured above behind the campfire in the foreground is a group of cadets moving out for a work detail.
Cadets in Camp Reliance had to set up their own tents for their stay in the park. Shown below, from left, are 15-year-old Junior ROTC cadets Timmy Magill and Tyler Solomon constructing a shelter.
Pictured at right is Junior ROTC cadet Gabrielle Proper, 15, laying a ground cover in her shelter.
Wellhouse said everyone in Camp Reliance graduated with a certificate, earned various ribbons to wear on their uniforms and got promotions.
“There were some cool mornings and some rain, but we were accident-free and everyone did well,” he added. “This camp was an elective and well-attended. Kids look at it as an end-of-the-year ritual to test their mettle.”
Students interested in joining the Junior ROTC can contact Wellhouse through the high school at 330-896-7575. The group’s next meeting will be in August.
— By Maria Lindsay
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
Calendar of Events
- “Finding Dory” - 12/8/2016
- Felted Beaded Necklace - 12/8/2016
- University of Akron Chamber Orchestra - 12/8/2016
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/8/2016
- Baby Play - 12/8/2016