Sharon Town Hall architect wins award
At the Sharon Township Board of Trustees meeting June 11, Fiscal Officer Anita Haas announced resident Kevin Robinette won the Cleveland Restoration Society’s Preservation Achievement Award.
Robinette was an architect who worked on renovating Sharon Town Hall. He was not at the meeting, but his father, Charles, presented a certificate to be displayed in the Hall.
Following this announcement, Haas reported on various township issues. She reported a signed copy of the post office lease has been received and she will forward it to the Medina County Prosecutor’s Office. She also said she found outdated payroll checks from the Sharon Fire Department dating as far back as 2006 that have not been cashed, totaling up to $612.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ to establish an unclaimed money fund. Haas said employees can contact her regarding unclaimed money, but after five years, that money will go back to the General Fund;
√ a 9.9 percent premium increase in health care renewal, which will go into effect July 1; and
√ the resignation of firefighter Max Leibsla, as recommended by Fire Chief Robert Haas.
In other business:
- Trustee Ray Lurtz announced the six-year project involving the replacement of electrical poles alongside Hartman Road has been completed.
Lurtz also addressed a Zoning Commission member’s concern about the changes to zoning regulations discussed at the May 28 meeting.
Zoning Inspector Neil Jones said he wants to clarify the current regulations rather than create more regulations. Lurtz suggested the board members attend the next zoning meeting to discuss this issue further.
Lurtz also reported he walked through the Brian Fixler Ballroom with Medina County Planning Services Director Rob Henwood and verified that living quarters do exist inside the building, so it qualifies for the Moving Ohio Forward Demolition Program, which is for residential properties. He said he has applied to demolish the building.
Lurtz also announced the Wadsworth Engineering Department will issue a purchase order directly to Karvo Paving Co. and will be invited to a preconstruction meeting.
- Service Director Bob Turek reported he started on the drainage process on the Signature of Sharon development.
- Fire Chief Haas reported the Fire Department is having problems with the Medina County prosecutor on the purchase of a new tanker, saying the new truck cannot be purchased on a state bid with a three-year warranty. However, he feels that a three-year warranty is necessary and requested for the total cost to be $12,012.
- Jones reported he issued two permits for living space additions and a lot split. He also reported a resident wants to build a storage building with frontage on Varney Drive.
- Resident Bill Bramley expressed his thanks to the Service Department for the mowing they did along Hatch Road. He also asked how to get copies of the minutes from the board meetings, which Fiscal Officer Haas said can be found on the Sharon website, www.sharontwp.org.
The next Sharon trustees’ meeting is scheduled for June 25 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014