Sharon Town Hall architect wins award
At the Sharon Township Board of Trustees meeting June 11, Fiscal Officer Anita Haas announced resident Kevin Robinette won the Cleveland Restoration Society’s Preservation Achievement Award.
Robinette was an architect who worked on renovating Sharon Town Hall. He was not at the meeting, but his father, Charles, presented a certificate to be displayed in the Hall.
Following this announcement, Haas reported on various township issues. She reported a signed copy of the post office lease has been received and she will forward it to the Medina County Prosecutor’s Office. She also said she found outdated payroll checks from the Sharon Fire Department dating as far back as 2006 that have not been cashed, totaling up to $612.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ to establish an unclaimed money fund. Haas said employees can contact her regarding unclaimed money, but after five years, that money will go back to the General Fund;
√ a 9.9 percent premium increase in health care renewal, which will go into effect July 1; and
√ the resignation of firefighter Max Leibsla, as recommended by Fire Chief Robert Haas.
In other business:
- Trustee Ray Lurtz announced the six-year project involving the replacement of electrical poles alongside Hartman Road has been completed.
Lurtz also addressed a Zoning Commission member’s concern about the changes to zoning regulations discussed at the May 28 meeting.
Zoning Inspector Neil Jones said he wants to clarify the current regulations rather than create more regulations. Lurtz suggested the board members attend the next zoning meeting to discuss this issue further.
Lurtz also reported he walked through the Brian Fixler Ballroom with Medina County Planning Services Director Rob Henwood and verified that living quarters do exist inside the building, so it qualifies for the Moving Ohio Forward Demolition Program, which is for residential properties. He said he has applied to demolish the building.
Lurtz also announced the Wadsworth Engineering Department will issue a purchase order directly to Karvo Paving Co. and will be invited to a preconstruction meeting.
- Service Director Bob Turek reported he started on the drainage process on the Signature of Sharon development.
- Fire Chief Haas reported the Fire Department is having problems with the Medina County prosecutor on the purchase of a new tanker, saying the new truck cannot be purchased on a state bid with a three-year warranty. However, he feels that a three-year warranty is necessary and requested for the total cost to be $12,012.
- Jones reported he issued two permits for living space additions and a lot split. He also reported a resident wants to build a storage building with frontage on Varney Drive.
- Resident Bill Bramley expressed his thanks to the Service Department for the mowing they did along Hatch Road. He also asked how to get copies of the minutes from the board meetings, which Fiscal Officer Haas said can be found on the Sharon website, www.sharontwp.org.
The next Sharon trustees’ meeting is scheduled for June 25 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Norton voters defeat sewer issue
- Copley lighting warms up cold night
- APS Board approves new teacher contract
- Firestone/Litchfield CLC progressing
- Good Neighbors helps those in need
- County Council approves 2014 budget
- Council renews Downtown Akron plan
- LA Fitness in plans for Portage Crossing
- Norton approves budget change for new dispatch center
- Copley pursuing new fire alerting system
- Peninsula Council discusses wastewater issues
- Richfield Village Council honors Revere boys soccer team
- Richfield trustees discuss zoning violations
- Granger trustees renew contract with Medina Sheriff’s Office
- Fairlawn VFW honors local generals at banquet
- Leadership Akron offering grant money for intergenerational activities
- Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Romp with Rudolph - 12/12/2013
- “Grown Ups 2” - 12/12/2013
- Boy=Girl - 12/13/2013
- Ohio City Singers - 12/13/2013
- Christmas Tree Lighting - 12/13/2013