Springfield moves date of Rock the Docks Festival
Springfield has moved its Rock the Docks Festival to coincide with the weekend following the Fourth of July.
At the June 13 meeting, Springfield Board of Trustees approved the temporary closure of the township’s boat launch beginning at noon July 5 to 6 p.m. July 7 to accommodate boat races planned for the event.
The family-friendly event, which in the past has taken place in mid-July, will offer carnival rides, games and food, live music, boat races and fireworks along the shores of Springfield Lake.
In other business, the board:
- approved the purchases of a Ford Interceptor SUV vehicle for the Police Department from Germain Ford for $25,200 and a John Deere 1600 rotary mower from Coventry Township for $8,000 and a Smithco Ball Field Conditioner from North Akron Baseball Association for $5,000 for the Parks Department; and the maintenance and repair to Life Pac 12 heart monitors at a cost of $1,800 for the Fire Department;
- accepted a letter of resignation from full-time firemedic Chris Cutright, effective June 22;
- set a public hearing on proposed text amendments to the township’s zoning resolution for July 11 at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road;
- appointed Angella Snyder to the Cable Board;
- approved an additional 20 hours of computer network support from Active Networking at a cost of $1,800;
- amended Policy 400.01 to require all township employees to be paid via electronic funds transfer via a financial institution of the employee’s choosing; and
- approved a work order for the removal of asbestos from 1794 Whychwood Drive and a similar work order, prior to the demolition, of 1743 Ronald, 2777 Swinehart, 2135 Massillon and 2963 Old Home roads, as well as the demolition of the structures at the last three addresses. The structures at 2135 Massillon Road include the old Playland Park facility that once offered roller skating and other activities.
During a special June 7 board meeting, trustees approved:
√ a work order for the removal of asbestos, prior to demolition, to North American Environmental Services for 1654 Ambre Drive; 1808 Krumroy Road; 976, 979 and 1010 Mohawk Trail; 1605 Pawnee Blvd.; and 3037 Shelburn Ave.;
√ a work order to Butcher and Son Inc. for the demolition at the above properties, except for Shelburn Avenue;
√ up to $2,585 for R & K Electric for the addition of a 100-amp main breaker panel for Lake Front Park;
√ up to $2,600 for Davey Tree for the removal of an oak tree and pruning of six others;
√ the purchase of 12 task chairs for the Police Patrol office at a cost of $89 each, under a state contract;
√ the purchase of two replacement Tasers, two holsters, 100 training cartridges and 50 duty cartridges from Taser International for $5,222;
√ a motion to rescind Resolution No. 195-82P, adopted in 1982, and to adopt Chapter 775 of the Codified Ordinances of Summit County, which states “In villages, municipalities or townships which do not have their own regulations regarding peddlers, solicitors or transient vendors, applications for licenses shall be submitted to the Summit County Office of Consumer Affairs in accordance with this chapter.”
Trustees also announced the Fire Department is sponsoring a blood donor clinic for the American Red Cross June 24 from 1 to 6 p.m. at the Town Hall. Appointments are recommended and can be made by visiting www.redcrossblood.org and finding the event by ZIP code (44312).
Also, township residents can visit the Akron Zoo for free Sept. 1-5 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets are required and are available at Town Hall.
The next regular trustees’ meeting is set for June 27 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014
- Project Ujima Wellness Circle - 7/26/2014
- Akron Arts Expo - 7/26/2014
- Gentle Yoga for Seniors - 7/26/2014
- NEOS Dance Theatre - 7/26/2014