Happy Fourth of July!
The evening began with music from the Brass Band of the Western Reserve, which performed at Bicentennial Park, as shown below. The crowd at the park, and many positioned throughout the city, enjoyed the fireworks that followed, some of which are shown above and at right.
The city will continue the celebration today, July 4, as its annual July 4 parade steps off from Fairlawn Town Centre at 6:30 p.m. and heads west on West Market Street to the Dillard’s parking lot at Summit Mall.
Also July 4, spectators can enjoy fireworks in Downtown Akron at the Rib, White and Blue Festival or at Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls with the Cleveland Orchestra. For a list of area events, see the June 27 edition of the West Side Leader or the archives at www.akron.com.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Dale Dong
More Community News
- Akron police to assist at GOP convention
- Junior Rangers explore CVNP
- County looking at summer roadwork spending
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
- Deconstruction program building up community
- West Side News & Notes
- ACLU sues Akron over panhandling law
- Temporary bridge bypass opens on Towpath
- Proposed charter changes in Fairlawn continue to draw debate
- Copley trustees to appoint new fiscal officer
- Bids announced for 2016 road projects in Bath
- Boston trustees discuss policy on culvert pipe installation
- Sharon trustees address transportation concerns
Calendar of Events
- Homeschoolers: Backyard Pollinators: ages 7-10 - 5/6/2016
- Play and Stay Friday - 5/6/2016
- University of Akron: Brass Quintets; Jazz Guitar Ensemble - 5/6/2016
- Getting “On Time” With Your Life - 5/7/2016
- Cleveland Orchestra Chorus and Blossom Festival Chorus - 5/7/2016