Sharon trustees renegotiate fire truck purchase
Renegotiating the purchase of a new fire truck for the Sharon Township Fire Department will result in savings of more than $10,000 for the township, according to township Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller.
The Board of Trustees spent time discussing the changes at their June 25 meeting.
Township officials worked out a deal to prepay for the $634,000 truck, and the 2013 Pierce Aero XT pumper tanker will come with a three-year warranty, according to Miller.
The vehicle is expected to arrive in a few months, she said.
Also at the meeting, trustees discussed recent work done to improve drainage problems in the Signature of Sharon subdivision in preparation for upcoming paving work.
Skid Steer Excavating did the work, opening up drainage tiles, and trustees are considering having more done, she said.
“We felt it was very successful,” she added.
The township’s planned roadwork this year will all take place in the subdivision and on State Road, to be completed by Karvo Construction, for around $570,000, according to township officials.
Also at the meeting, trustees approved renewing a liability insurance policy through the Ohio Township Association Risk Management Authority and paying a premium to Frank Gates for Workers’ Compensation.
In other news, Miller announced the inaugural season of a farmers’ market in the township has been successful so far.
On average, the market has seen 10 to 12 vendors each week. In addition to fresh fruits, vegetables and meats, consumers also can purchase items such as caramel corn, organic laundry detergent and dog treats, she said.
The market takes place in Sharon Community Park, located on state Route 94 just south of Sharon Circle, on Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. and is planned to run through October.
Also at the meeting, Sue Lusk thanked community members for donating items to be sold during a community garage sale to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The sale is planned for July 19 and 20 at 7023 Ridge Road.
The next Sharon trustees’ meeting is scheduled for July 9 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
- Council introduces vicious dog legislation
- Bulldog Dash raises funds for Green schools
- Springfield district seeking renewal of two levies
- County Council holds public hearing for sewer project
- Council districts subject of opposing ballot issues
- South Side News & Notes
- Summer sewer rate discussed in Akron
Calendar of Events
- An Evening of American Indian Arts - 10/13/2015
- Show and Tell Me a Story: for ages 1-3 - 10/13/2015
- Symphony Land Story Time with the Canton Symphony Orchestra - 10/13/2015
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 10/14/2015
- Know Your iPad; Searching the Internet - 10/14/2015