Veterans ‘Picnic on the Patio’
|Photo courtesy of North Coast WAVES Unit 21|
According to North Coast WAVES officials, the event provided the veterans and their families an opportunity to come together, share experiences, build a network of resources and learn about veteran services and veteran service organizations available to women.
Participants included the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, the Summit County Veterans Service Commission, NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Health) and North Coast WAVES and women veterans from Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Youngstown and Zanesville, according to event organizers.
Musician and singer Natalie Sprouse entertained, and several dignitaries addressed the crowd and talked with the veterans and their families. Among those was Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, a resident of Green, who spoke about the unique issues women veterans face with health care, jobs and homelessness. Summit County Councilwoman Sandra Kurt (D-at large) also attended the event.
Shown above, from left, are North Coast WAVES Unit 21 Vice President Marlana Robertshaw, of Boardman; Secretary Lillian Hawley, of Wadsworth; Taylor; President Jennifer Baun, of Boardman; and Treasurer Dalene Sherrod, of Akron.
More Community News
- City reports sewer savings after plan altered
- Tour offers peek into Copley landmark
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
- Norton district returns to ballot for operating funds
- All welcome at GASP luncheon
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Council approves pump station location change
- Norton citizens mount referendum campaign on sewer transfer
- Council OKs Woodridge, Portage Crossing construction plans
- Copley trustees increase cemetery capacity with columbarium
- Richfield officials honor garden club for 80 years of service
- Trustees hear update on recycling program
Calendar of Events
- Yoga - 9/29/2016
- Rock-a-Bye Tales: 6 to 24 months - 9/29/2016
- Watercolor Screen Printing - 9/29/2016
- Tales Alive: ages 2-5 - 9/29/2016
- The University of Akron Chamber Orchestra - 9/29/2016