Veterans ‘Picnic on the Patio’
|Photo courtesy of North Coast WAVES Unit 21|
According to North Coast WAVES officials, the event provided the veterans and their families an opportunity to come together, share experiences, build a network of resources and learn about veteran services and veteran service organizations available to women.
Participants included the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, the Summit County Veterans Service Commission, NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Health) and North Coast WAVES and women veterans from Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Youngstown and Zanesville, according to event organizers.
Musician and singer Natalie Sprouse entertained, and several dignitaries addressed the crowd and talked with the veterans and their families. Among those was Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, a resident of Green, who spoke about the unique issues women veterans face with health care, jobs and homelessness. Summit County Councilwoman Sandra Kurt (D-at large) also attended the event.
Shown above, from left, are North Coast WAVES Unit 21 Vice President Marlana Robertshaw, of Boardman; Secretary Lillian Hawley, of Wadsworth; Taylor; President Jennifer Baun, of Boardman; and Treasurer Dalene Sherrod, of Akron.
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Clearfork Bluegrass Quartet - 3/7/2014
- Dance Fever Open House - 3/7/2014
- James Renner - 3/7/2014
- Runa - 3/7/2014
- Jonathan Butler - 3/7/2014