Veterans ‘Picnic on the Patio’
|Photo courtesy of North Coast WAVES Unit 21|
According to North Coast WAVES officials, the event provided the veterans and their families an opportunity to come together, share experiences, build a network of resources and learn about veteran services and veteran service organizations available to women.
Participants included the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, the Summit County Veterans Service Commission, NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Health) and North Coast WAVES and women veterans from Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Youngstown and Zanesville, according to event organizers.
Musician and singer Natalie Sprouse entertained, and several dignitaries addressed the crowd and talked with the veterans and their families. Among those was Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, a resident of Green, who spoke about the unique issues women veterans face with health care, jobs and homelessness. Summit County Councilwoman Sandra Kurt (D-at large) also attended the event.
Shown above, from left, are North Coast WAVES Unit 21 Vice President Marlana Robertshaw, of Boardman; Secretary Lillian Hawley, of Wadsworth; Taylor; President Jennifer Baun, of Boardman; and Treasurer Dalene Sherrod, of Akron.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 8/30/2014
- “Ride” - 8/30/2014
- Get Acquainted With Bridge - 8/30/2014
- Outdoor Yoga - 8/30/2014
- “Pre-Marathon” Book Sale - 8/30/2014