Veterans ‘Picnic on the Patio’
|Photo courtesy of North Coast WAVES Unit 21|
According to North Coast WAVES officials, the event provided the veterans and their families an opportunity to come together, share experiences, build a network of resources and learn about veteran services and veteran service organizations available to women.
Participants included the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, the Summit County Veterans Service Commission, NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Health) and North Coast WAVES and women veterans from Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Youngstown and Zanesville, according to event organizers.
Musician and singer Natalie Sprouse entertained, and several dignitaries addressed the crowd and talked with the veterans and their families. Among those was Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, a resident of Green, who spoke about the unique issues women veterans face with health care, jobs and homelessness. Summit County Councilwoman Sandra Kurt (D-at large) also attended the event.
Shown above, from left, are North Coast WAVES Unit 21 Vice President Marlana Robertshaw, of Boardman; Secretary Lillian Hawley, of Wadsworth; Taylor; President Jennifer Baun, of Boardman; and Treasurer Dalene Sherrod, of Akron.
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
Calendar of Events
- Family Story Time - 4/27/2017
- GriefCare Place - 4/27/2017
- History of Gorge Metro Park - 4/27/2017
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 4/27/2017
- Rock-a-Bye Tales: 6 to 24 months - 4/27/2017