Veterans ‘Picnic on the Patio’
|Photo courtesy of North Coast WAVES Unit 21|
According to North Coast WAVES officials, the event provided the veterans and their families an opportunity to come together, share experiences, build a network of resources and learn about veteran services and veteran service organizations available to women.
Participants included the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, the Summit County Veterans Service Commission, NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Health) and North Coast WAVES and women veterans from Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Youngstown and Zanesville, according to event organizers.
Musician and singer Natalie Sprouse entertained, and several dignitaries addressed the crowd and talked with the veterans and their families. Among those was Lt. Gov. and Department of Insurance Director Mary Taylor, a resident of Green, who spoke about the unique issues women veterans face with health care, jobs and homelessness. Summit County Councilwoman Sandra Kurt (D-at large) also attended the event.
Shown above, from left, are North Coast WAVES Unit 21 Vice President Marlana Robertshaw, of Boardman; Secretary Lillian Hawley, of Wadsworth; Taylor; President Jennifer Baun, of Boardman; and Treasurer Dalene Sherrod, of Akron.
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Teen Advisory Board - 2/21/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 2/22/2017
- “Saturday Night Fever — The Musical” - 2/22/2017
- Hydration in Older Adults - 2/22/2017
- Meet Me in the Garden - 2/22/2017