County Council OKs report on Engineer’s Office wages
In a special meeting July 8, Summit County Council adopted a resolution to accept a fact finder’s report relating to a collective bargaining agreement between union employees of the Engineer’s Office and the county.
Jason Dodson, chief of staff for the County Executive’s office, said the report recommended no pay increase for the period of April 1 of this year through March 31, 2014, and a 1.5 percent increase for the period of April 1, 2014, through March 31, 2015. That was in line with what the county had proposed, he said and similar to other employee contracts approved this year.
Dodson added the report was “very employer friendly” and he recommended Council approve it. Council could have rejected the report, accepted it or taken no action, which would in effect result in acceptance of the report, Dodson said.
Also during the meeting, Council adopted a resolution regarding an agreement with AT&T for phone service from July 15 of this year through Dec. 31, 2016, and long distance service from Jan. 1, 2014, to Dec. 31, 2016. The total cost is not to exceed $1.65 million, according to the contract.
Dodson said continuing the contract with AT&T would result in a 7 percent reduction from the previous contract. He added the county opted to continue the contract using its current Centrex phone system instead of moving to a new phone system, which would have resulted in a large capital investment or lease payments.
Council also adopted a resolution that allows Cuyahoga Falls to receive an additional $10,000 to put toward the Moving Ohio Forward demolition program. The city has already spent $22,000 to demolish four housing units, according to Holly Miller, senior administrator in Summit County’s Department of Community and Economic Development.
Prior to the meeting, Councilman Frank Comunale (D-District 4) led a remembrance of the 19 firefighters who were killed recently while fighting wildfires in Arizona.
County Council will next meet for a regular meeting July 15 at 4:30 p.m. in Council Chambers on the seventh floor of the Ohio Building, 175 S. Main St.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Dick Cooper Holiday Concert - 12/5/2016
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band and Chorus Holiday Concert: - 12/5/2016
- Elf on a Shelf - 12/5/2016
- Cardio Hike - 12/5/2016
- “Spring Awakening” - 12/6/2016