Green district hires assistant super
|Photo courtesy of Green Local Schools|
At the July 15 Green Local Schools Board of Education meeting, a two-year contract for the assistant superintendent position was approved for Kevin Finefrock, who has been principal at Green Primary School. The board also approved two-year contracts for Jeffrey Wells as principal of Green Middle School and for Scott Shank as principal of Green Primary School. All the positions are slated to begin Aug. 1.
The assistant principal position at Green Primary School has been eliminated. The district will hire an assistant principal for Green Middle School later this summer, said Superintendent Jeffrey Miller.
“We are reinstating the assistant superintendent position while abolishing the assistant principal position at Green Primary School,” said Steven Foster, board president. “This was revenue neutral and didn’t cost the district an extra penny.”
Green Local Schools last had an assistant superintendent in 2009.
“We don’t make these decisions lightly,” said Foster, adding the board has discussed reinstating the assistant superintendent position over the past several months.
Finefrock has been principal at Green Primary School for the past two years. He was an assistant principal at Green High School for two years and was principal at Kleckner Elementary School for one year. His yearly salary will be $95,172.
“I am going to help assist with operating the district, and I’m grateful and humbled by the opportunity,” said Finefrock.
Wells will replace Miller as principal at Green Middle School, and his annual salary will be $79,104. Shank replaces Finefrock as principal at Green Primary School with an annual salary of $71,070.
“With the administrative reorganization, we’re looking forward to seeing a lot of good teamwork,” said board member Connie Leonard.
In another financial matter, the board approved a 2 percent base salary increase for Treasurer Eydie Snowberger.
In other business, district officials have not made a decision about joining the Federal League for high school sports, which consists of six Stark County schools. Green currently is one of eight schools from Summit and Medina counties in the Suburban League.
“We are now gathering information and looking at the facts ... to determine what’s best for our students and district,” said Miller, adding the decision will be a collaborative effort.
In another matter, Green resident Tony Ziehler asked the board to consider supporting legislation to repeal the Common Core, and no action was taken. The Common Core is a set of expectations of what students should know in English and math at each grade level.
In other business, the board:
- approved 11 supplemental contracts;
- approved nutrition standards as required by the Ohio Revised Code by governing the types of food and beverages sold within the district; and
- approved a contract with Invo HealthCare Associates for occupational therapy services for the next school year.
The board adjourned for an executive session to discuss personnel and legal issues. The next regular Green school board meeting is scheduled for Aug. 26 at 6:30 p.m. in the Central Administration Building, 1755 Town Park Blvd.
More Community News
- APS superintendent touts academy concept
- Polar Bear Jumpers take plunge for good
- Gas pump stickers protect against ‘skimming’
- Staying safe when selling online
- State Sen. Sykes focused on local needs
- West Side News & Notes
- Fairlawn going out for bid on concrete slab program
- Bath trustees expecting faster internet
- Trustees OK conditional use of barns as event centers
- Court honors Cacioppo, Davis
- Wadsworth judge presents Sharon trustees with yearly report
- Akron-Canton Foodbank welcomes new board members
- New Franklin reviewing health care plan
- Polar Bear Jumpers take plunge for good
- Lakemore eyeing park area for dogs at Waterworks
- Commission hears open enrollment report
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Films by Jerome Hiler and Gov Hai - 2/25/2017
- Norton Kiwanis Chili Cook Off - 2/25/2017
- New Directions - 2/25/2017
- Cooking With Lemons - 2/25/2017
- Air Plant Wreath Workshop with Mimosas; Terrarium and Succulent Bowl Workshop with Wine - 2/25/2017