Copley Heritage Day returns Aug. 3
COPLEY — On Aug. 3, Heritage Day will return to various locations in Copley, with the majority of events taking place between noon and 7 p.m.
According to event co-chair Kathi Fundak Corathers, what used to stretch out over a few days is now a one-day event. She said most of what will make up this year’s Heritage Day festivities will be “tried and true” activities, including a baking contest and parade. The event also will include an expanded children’s area.
According to Corathers, the following is a rundown of what is taking place at different sites in Copley on Heritage Day:
Opening ceremonies for the day’s events will take place at noon on Copley Circle, marked by a ringing of the 1903 school bell, located in the township offices building.
Throughout the day on the circle, vendors will be on hand to provide food, crafts and public information.
At the Copley Heritage Day booth, attendees will find schedules of the day’s events, first aid and a lost and found.
The Copley Historical Society also will man a booth, selling a book on the history of the township, reprinted from its original 1969 edition the Copley Kiwanis published for the township’s Sesquicentennial Celebration, said Corathers.
At 2:30 p.m., a hula-hoop contest will begin at the gazebo, with prizes going to the participants who can hula-hoop the longest. Participants also will get to keep their hula-hoops, according to Corathers.
Copley-Fairlawn Middle School
Copley-Fairlawn Middle School (CFMS), 1531 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, will provide free children’s entertainment from noon to 6 p.m.
From noon to 3 p.m., St. Luke’s Ministries will provide face painting, games and balloon animals. Also, local mascots Browser (1 to 2:30 p.m.), Orbit (3 to 4 p.m.) and Zippy (4 to 5:30 p.m.) will visit throughout the day, and Boy Scout Troop No. 382 will be on-hand selling inflatable toys and beverages.
Booths and displays will be provided by Akron Children’s Hospital, the Summit County Farm Bureau, Home Depot and the Akron Fossils & Science Center. Also, GASP (Guardians Advocating Child Safety and Protection) will provide free fingerprinting from noon to 4 p.m.
Other sites and activities
- Early birds will have the opportunity to participate in the fourth annual Copley 5K for Education and Family Fun Run. The course will begin and end at CFMS.
Registration will open at 7 a.m., with the Family Fun Run, a 1-mile run/walk, stepping off at 8 a.m. Registration for the Family Fun Run costs $10 per person. At 8:30 a.m., 5K racers will hit the streets.
Entry fees for the 5K are $20 for those who preregister and $25 on race day. The family rate is $50.
All participants in both events will receive T-shirts and be entered into a raffle for door prizes.
The Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation and Copley-Fairlawn Athletic Association are sponsoring both events.
To register, visit www.copley-fairlawn.org/Page/2819.
- The Fire and Rescue Association again will host a pancake breakfast at the Fire Station, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, from 8 a.m. to noon.
- A rummage sale will take place at Copley High School, 3807 Ridgewood Road, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., with proceeds going to fund after-prom activities.
- A Bake-Off will be held at the American Legion Hall, 3255 Copley Road. Participants can bring baked goods Aug. 3 between 9:30 and 11 a.m., with judging taking place at 11:30 a.m. Categories are cakes, pastries, cookies and quick breads.
After the judging, baked goods will be made available to the public by donation at Copley Circle until 4 p.m.
For an entry form and rules, go to the Heritage Day website, www.copleyheritageday.com, and look under the Events tab for the Bake-Off. At 4 p.m., Bake-Off winners will be announced at the circle.
For Bake-Off questions, call Carole Bowersox at 330-666-9308.
- An ice cream truck will park from 1 to 3 p.m. at The Eye Site, 1394 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, offering 50-cent cones. All proceeds will go to support local outreach programs, according to optometrist Jennifer Hazelwood.
- A parade organized and sponsored by the Copley Chamber of Commerce will step off at 6 p.m. from The Babcock & Wilcox Co., 3333 Copley Road. Entrants are asked to sign up in advance at the Heritage Day website and make a $25 contribution to the Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation Scholarship Fund.
The parade will head to Copley Circle from the staging area, turning south on Cleveland-Massillon Road, east on Hammond Boulevard, north on Schoolcraft Avenue and ending at CFMS.
For more information about the parade, contact Judy Seward at 330-777-0249.
Parking for Heritage Day will be available at Copley Community Center, 1278 Sunset Drive; Benefit Services Inc., 3636 Copley Road; CFMS; Copley United Methodist Church, 1518 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road after 5 p.m.; The Eye Site; and Walterville (handicapped parking only), 1351 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road. Organizers ask attendees to not park in Copley Circle merchant lots.
A free shuttle bus will run between the northeast corner of Copley Circle, Copley Community Center, Benefit Services and the rear parking lots of CFMS.
For more Heritage Day information, contact Corathers at CopleyBarns@aol.com or 330-753-1913.
More Community News
- Council discusses Montrose traffic upgrade
- Tree festival puts spotlight on season
- Akron Council mulls moving election of officers
- Seasonal volunteer opportunities abound in area
- Ronald McDonald House set to grow
- Holiday décor sparkles at tree festival
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley trustees award building replacement bidq
- VFW Post 349 recognizes veteran support groups at dinner
- IRS recommends reviewing tax status now
- Richfield Council adds historic overlay district to zoning code
- BBB offering shopping, giving advice
- Richfield trustees preparing for move into new building
- ADM Board honors trailblazers
- Akron RubberDucks helps to feed hungry, homeless
- West Akron Baseball League volunteers clean up yards
Calendar of Events
- Jon Mosey - 11/25/2015
- Joseph Arthur - 11/25/2015
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous - 11/26/2015
- Ballroom Nights - 11/27/2015
- Black Friday Music Party - 11/27/2015