Citizens Police Academy getting underway in Norton
NORTON — The Norton Police Department will present a program that provides insight to the public on the department’s responsibilities and operations. The fifth Southern Summit Citizens Police Academy session will begin Sept. 12 and conclude Dec. 12.
According to city officials, the most important goal of the program is to open the channels of communication between the citizens of Norton and the police department. Additionally, city officials say they want to develop an understanding of the police role within the community. The objective of the academy is not to make police officers out of graduates, but to make them better informed citizens with accurate knowledge of the department’s responsibilities and functions.
The Southern Summit Citizens Police Academy is a 12-week program. In each class session, instructors will provide guidance and information concerning a particular area of law enforcement. Attendees will have an opportunity to experience how the police department functions in the community with some informative hands-on training.
Requirements for participants are: Must be at least 18 years of age, have no criminal history other than minor traffic violations (background checks will be performed), be physically able to participate in active class trainings, commit to attend 12 weekly three-hour training sessions and sign any required waivers or agreements.
Applications are available at the Norton Police Department Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to have an application mailed to you, contact Sgt. John Dalessandro at 330-706-0084, ext. 144.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 2/22/2017
- “Saturday Night Fever — The Musical” - 2/22/2017
- Hydration in Older Adults - 2/22/2017
- Meet Me in the Garden - 2/22/2017
- Fiber Art Open Studio - 2/22/2017