Citizens Police Academy getting underway in Norton
NORTON — The Norton Police Department will present a program that provides insight to the public on the department’s responsibilities and operations. The fifth Southern Summit Citizens Police Academy session will begin Sept. 12 and conclude Dec. 12.
According to city officials, the most important goal of the program is to open the channels of communication between the citizens of Norton and the police department. Additionally, city officials say they want to develop an understanding of the police role within the community. The objective of the academy is not to make police officers out of graduates, but to make them better informed citizens with accurate knowledge of the department’s responsibilities and functions.
The Southern Summit Citizens Police Academy is a 12-week program. In each class session, instructors will provide guidance and information concerning a particular area of law enforcement. Attendees will have an opportunity to experience how the police department functions in the community with some informative hands-on training.
Requirements for participants are: Must be at least 18 years of age, have no criminal history other than minor traffic violations (background checks will be performed), be physically able to participate in active class trainings, commit to attend 12 weekly three-hour training sessions and sign any required waivers or agreements.
Applications are available at the Norton Police Department Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to have an application mailed to you, contact Sgt. John Dalessandro at 330-706-0084, ext. 144.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014