Fire in Copley closes roads, causes evacuation
|Fire and police department officials responded to a fire at YRC Freight in Copley Aug. 9 at about 9:15 a.m. Nearby businesses were given the option to evacuate.|
|Photo: Maria Lindsay|
According to Assistant Fire Chief Keith Moore, a call about the fire came in at 9:07 a.m. and officials arrived shortly after to find three containers at the loading docks on fire, with heavy black smoke. The containers held dimethyl ether, a flammable liquid gas.
Moore said after consulting with the company, firefighters decided to let the trailers burn until the chemical was consumed to keep it from spreading, and then the fire was extinguished. Departments assisting Copley Fire included those from Akron, Bath, Barberton, Fairlawn, Granger, Medina Township, Norton, Sharon and Richfield.
The Summit County Hazardous Materials Response Team was called in to assist, and the Summit County Red Cross provided refreshments to more than 60 responders.
Moore said one YRC employee was injured when the fire started, and he was transported to Akron Children’s Hospital for treatment. He did not know the condition of the employee.
Moore also said the fire was out by 11:20 a.m., and there is minimal damage to the docks. The business was operational the next day.
Moore said investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire.
Children at the nearby Kids Academy of Copley child-care center were evacuated by school bus to Copley High School, and nearby businesses also were given the option to evacuate after fire department officials arrived to assess the situation. Several roads were closed in the area for several hours during the incident.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014