Fire in Copley closes roads, causes evacuation
|Fire and police department officials responded to a fire at YRC Freight in Copley Aug. 9 at about 9:15 a.m. Nearby businesses were given the option to evacuate.|
|Photo: Maria Lindsay|
According to Assistant Fire Chief Keith Moore, a call about the fire came in at 9:07 a.m. and officials arrived shortly after to find three containers at the loading docks on fire, with heavy black smoke. The containers held dimethyl ether, a flammable liquid gas.
Moore said after consulting with the company, firefighters decided to let the trailers burn until the chemical was consumed to keep it from spreading, and then the fire was extinguished. Departments assisting Copley Fire included those from Akron, Bath, Barberton, Fairlawn, Granger, Medina Township, Norton, Sharon and Richfield.
The Summit County Hazardous Materials Response Team was called in to assist, and the Summit County Red Cross provided refreshments to more than 60 responders.
Moore said one YRC employee was injured when the fire started, and he was transported to Akron Children’s Hospital for treatment. He did not know the condition of the employee.
Moore also said the fire was out by 11:20 a.m., and there is minimal damage to the docks. The business was operational the next day.
Moore said investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire.
Children at the nearby Kids Academy of Copley child-care center were evacuated by school bus to Copley High School, and nearby businesses also were given the option to evacuate after fire department officials arrived to assess the situation. Several roads were closed in the area for several hours during the incident.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Susan Graham - 4/21/2014
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Ministry - 4/21/2014
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014