Fire in Copley closes roads, causes evacuation
|Fire and police department officials responded to a fire at YRC Freight in Copley Aug. 9 at about 9:15 a.m. Nearby businesses were given the option to evacuate.|
|Photo: Maria Lindsay|
According to Assistant Fire Chief Keith Moore, a call about the fire came in at 9:07 a.m. and officials arrived shortly after to find three containers at the loading docks on fire, with heavy black smoke. The containers held dimethyl ether, a flammable liquid gas.
Moore said after consulting with the company, firefighters decided to let the trailers burn until the chemical was consumed to keep it from spreading, and then the fire was extinguished. Departments assisting Copley Fire included those from Akron, Bath, Barberton, Fairlawn, Granger, Medina Township, Norton, Sharon and Richfield.
The Summit County Hazardous Materials Response Team was called in to assist, and the Summit County Red Cross provided refreshments to more than 60 responders.
Moore said one YRC employee was injured when the fire started, and he was transported to Akron Children’s Hospital for treatment. He did not know the condition of the employee.
Moore also said the fire was out by 11:20 a.m., and there is minimal damage to the docks. The business was operational the next day.
Moore said investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire.
Children at the nearby Kids Academy of Copley child-care center were evacuated by school bus to Copley High School, and nearby businesses also were given the option to evacuate after fire department officials arrived to assess the situation. Several roads were closed in the area for several hours during the incident.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014