Deputy selected for Optimist award
SOUTH AKRON — Summit County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Mike Walsh has been recognized by the Akron Optimist Club for his service to the community.
Club members conduct positive service projects for children in their local communities, according to the club’s website. The club recognizes police and fire medics annually.
Walsh is a supervisor in the Community Policing Division and has been with the office for more about 20 years, according to Sheriff Steve Barry.
Walsh oversees the D.A.R.E. program and senior programs, he added.
“He has a lot of community involvement with various organizations,” said Barry.
Walsh will be honored Sept. 17 at 11:30 a.m. at the New Era Restaurant, 10 Massillon Road.
The Optimist Club of Akron meets at the restaurant on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 11:45 a.m.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Celebrate the Season - 12/19/2014
- Movie Matinee - 12/19/2014
- Tales for Tots - 12/19/2014
- Holiday Open House - 12/20/2014
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Bird Feeder - 12/20/2014