Deputy selected for Optimist award
SOUTH AKRON — Summit County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Mike Walsh has been recognized by the Akron Optimist Club for his service to the community.
Club members conduct positive service projects for children in their local communities, according to the club’s website. The club recognizes police and fire medics annually.
Walsh is a supervisor in the Community Policing Division and has been with the office for more about 20 years, according to Sheriff Steve Barry.
Walsh oversees the D.A.R.E. program and senior programs, he added.
“He has a lot of community involvement with various organizations,” said Barry.
Walsh will be honored Sept. 17 at 11:30 a.m. at the New Era Restaurant, 10 Massillon Road.
The Optimist Club of Akron meets at the restaurant on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 11:45 a.m.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Mayor focuses on health care, environment
- Mustill Store opens for new season
- Norton voters to decide charter amendments
- Sheriff’s deputies receiving raises
- Council president refuses to mix with EACH investigation
- Fairlawn City Council OKs new deal with city’s police officers
- Richfield Village chief thanks employees for outfitting cruisers
- Trustees discuss concerns over crusher
- Bath approves new recycling agreement
- Copley looking for new bids for Community Center demolition
- Financial literacy classes offered
- Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
- GCEF awards funds for local Gay Games projects
- West Side News & Notes
- Development to offer luxury apartments
- Green seniors enjoy annual social
- Manchester district seeking renewal of levy
- New Franklin finance director now full time
- Sheriff’s deputies to receive raises
- South Side News & Notes
- Spring cleaning on tap for Lakemore
- Coventry school board places extended levy renewal on ballot
- Nimisila Reservoir Spring Cleanup coming
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch - 4/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 4/17/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 4/17/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014