Routine business conducted at Sharon trustees meeting
The Sharon Board of Trustees and other officials brought various issues to the table at the Aug. 13 meeting.
Fiscal Officer Anita Haas started the meeting by addressing a few issues on behalf of Trustee Ray Lurtz, who was absent. She reported the damaged guardrail at the intersection of Sharon-Copley and Boneta roads has been fixed.
She also said the township will move forward with the demolition of the former Brian Fixler Ballroom as part of the Moving Ohio Forward grant program, adding the demolition should be done by the end of September.
Haas said the township’s latest building codes have been re-evaluated by the International Organization for Standardization. The letter she received stated the township’s commercial buildings were in Class 4 and one- and two-family properties were also in Class 4.
Haas also provided an update on the flood damage to Sharon Community Park. She said the park damage totaled less than $10,000 and road damage totaled more than $7,000. She said the township’s flood damage will be covered after a $500 deductible.
In other business:
- Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller announced the 30th annual Wine and Cheese Party will be held at Medina Hospital Aug. 23. She said the event is sponsored by the Medina Rotary Club and will serve as a fundraiser for the hospital’s cancer services.
Miller said she was contacted by Bay Pointe Technology, of Richfield, regarding the proposed fiber optic network node. She said the representative told her the company can negotiate the contract with them if she is interested.
She also reported the Medina County Health Department visited the farmers’ market at Sharon Community Park Sunday Aug. 11, and all inspections were passed. She said 16 vendors were present that day.
- Trustee Brian Guccion reported he received a letter of resignation from Sharon Town Hall maintenance worker Sharon Fox.
- Service Director Bob Turek proposed the construction of a new sign for the Sharon Fire Department with landscaping rocks and lighting.
The trustees said a vote will take place after a hearing with the Zoning Department regarding the landscaping and lighting issues.
Turek reported a ditch alongside State Road has been washed out and said he can pull back some ground from 20 feet and possibly have a guardrail installed at that location.
- Zoning Inspector Neil Jones reported he issued 13 permits and received two requests for accessory buildings, four requests for pools and two requests for decks. He also said he received a request for a new hanger with 18 units to be built at the Medina Municipal Airport. He said he also received a request from the owner of Avalon RV Center to build a new sign with a time and temperature box added.
Jones also reported he received calls from constituents and residents regarding the township’s gas aggregation deal. He said he recommended residents contact representatives of the county with their questions.
Jones addressed residents’ concerns about a stretch of Hartman Road that does not have a posted speed limit sign and is being designated as a 55 mph zone. He said he will call state representatives and ask them to do a traffic study on that road.
- Northview Drive resident Jim Davis addressed his concern about water cascading from High View Drive to Northview Drive and causing damage to drainage ditches and driveways.
Guccion provided Davis with references of county representatives to contact about the issue.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ to allow Lt. Maggie Hobson and firefighters Adam Dodson and Chris Dordea to attend a fire officer class at Cuyahoga Community College for $500;
√ to purchase salt at $34.32 per ton for 1,100 tons, plus or minus 20 percent;
√ to purchase a new air conditioning unit for the Administration Building from L&A Plumbing, Heating and Cooling for $7,580; and
√ to pay for Zoning Board members to attend the American Planning Association Planning Conference in Cleveland Sept. 27 for $135 per person.
The next Sharon trustees’ meeting is set for Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. at the township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony Orchestra - 8/2/2015
- Bobby Selvaggio Quartet - 8/2/2015
- Phil ‘n the Blanks - 8/2/2015
- Natural Discoveries Hiking Series: Sounds of Summer - 8/2/2015
- Colin Dussault - 8/3/2015