Project RISE hosts educational field trips
|Photos courtesy of Project RISE|
To conclude the summer field trips, Project RISE took 125 people to West Akron’s Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens July 31. The families participated in guided tours of the manor house, gardens and butterfly conservatory, a special summer exhibit. The attendees were able to get a close-up view of the butterflies and caterpillars, shown above and at right, and also had the opportunity to feed and hold them as well.
During the Stan Hywet field trip, attendees learned the manor house was built between 1912 and 1915 for F. A. Seiberling, who was the founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. The Seiberlings gave the estate the name Stan Hywet, which is Old English for “stone quarry.” The name was chosen to reflect the estate’s most prominent natural feature. In 1957, the Seiberling family donated Stan Hywet to a nonprofit organization for its preservation, and it is now a historic house museum.
Other field trips this summer included Amish Country in Millersburg, Hale Farm and Village in Bath and the Natural History Museum and Art Museum in Cleveland. Families from 11 homeless shelters in Akron were invited to experience the field trips.
Project RISE staff members and volunteers accompanied the students and parents in attendance and also provided hands-on instruction and activities. On each field trip, students participated in structured activities. All of the field trips follow a specific framework to ensure they are educational to the students, according to Project RISE officials.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Gardening Through the Year: Wreath Making - 12/4/2016
- ”Nutcracker” - 12/4/2016
- University of Akron Choirs: ‘Tis the Season - 12/4/2016
- Dixieland Jazz Concert - 12/4/2016
- Crafty Mart Presents Cottage Mart - 12/4/2016