Project RISE hosts educational field trips
|Photos courtesy of Project RISE|
To conclude the summer field trips, Project RISE took 125 people to West Akron’s Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens July 31. The families participated in guided tours of the manor house, gardens and butterfly conservatory, a special summer exhibit. The attendees were able to get a close-up view of the butterflies and caterpillars, shown above and at right, and also had the opportunity to feed and hold them as well.
During the Stan Hywet field trip, attendees learned the manor house was built between 1912 and 1915 for F. A. Seiberling, who was the founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. The Seiberlings gave the estate the name Stan Hywet, which is Old English for “stone quarry.” The name was chosen to reflect the estate’s most prominent natural feature. In 1957, the Seiberling family donated Stan Hywet to a nonprofit organization for its preservation, and it is now a historic house museum.
Other field trips this summer included Amish Country in Millersburg, Hale Farm and Village in Bath and the Natural History Museum and Art Museum in Cleveland. Families from 11 homeless shelters in Akron were invited to experience the field trips.
Project RISE staff members and volunteers accompanied the students and parents in attendance and also provided hands-on instruction and activities. On each field trip, students participated in structured activities. All of the field trips follow a specific framework to ensure they are educational to the students, according to Project RISE officials.
More Community News
- Akron proposes city construction company
- Flowers herald coming spring
- County joining fight against mail sorting office closure
- Woodridge ‘big loser’ in proposed state budget
- New Revere superintendent ready for challenge
- West Side News & Notes
- Summit County marking 175 years
- Women’s Endowment Fund awards grants
- Presentation on student use of electronics planned
- Peninsula library offering March classes
- BVS hosting blood drive
- Bath OKs raise for park employees with additional training
- Boston facing salt shortage
- Altrusa International hosting prom dress event
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report
Calendar of Events
- Paws and Prayers’ Paws Vegas - 3/6/2015
- Homeschoolers: Green Thumbs - 3/6/2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Kickoff Party - 3/6/2015
- Coyotes in Your Parks - 3/6/2015
- Rubber City Beatlefest - 3/6/2015