Hospice hosts Camp Promise
|Photo courtesy of Hospice of VNS|
Forty-one children participated in this year’s camp, shown above, which took place Aug. 5-8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily on the grounds of the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center. A total of four teens and 20 adults volunteered their time.
Throughout the week, the children keep journals that capture their feelings, drawings, songs and pictures of their new friends, and are encouraged to reference them throughout the year, particularly on difficult days. The camp also gave the children an opportunity to interact with others their age who are experiencing loss and to learn that they are not alone.
Parents or guardians attended an hour-long session about “Helping Your Grieving Child” early in the week to help them understand what their child is experiencing and gather practical tips on how to help them at home. They were also invited back for a closing ceremony, at which the campers performed songs they had learned that week and displayed their craft projects.
Participants attend the camp for free thanks to area donors. Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring next year’s camp may contact the Akron General Foundation at 330-344-6888.
For more information on children’s bereavement programs offered by Hospice of VNS, call 330-668-4662.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
Calendar of Events
- Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: A Fruity Tasting Experience - 1/29/2015
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club hikes - 1/29/2015
- Baby Time: for ages 6-24 months - 1/29/2015
- Adults Beginning Drawing - 1/29/2015
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 1/29/2015