Hospice hosts Camp Promise
|Photo courtesy of Hospice of VNS|
Forty-one children participated in this year’s camp, shown above, which took place Aug. 5-8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily on the grounds of the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center. A total of four teens and 20 adults volunteered their time.
Throughout the week, the children keep journals that capture their feelings, drawings, songs and pictures of their new friends, and are encouraged to reference them throughout the year, particularly on difficult days. The camp also gave the children an opportunity to interact with others their age who are experiencing loss and to learn that they are not alone.
Parents or guardians attended an hour-long session about “Helping Your Grieving Child” early in the week to help them understand what their child is experiencing and gather practical tips on how to help them at home. They were also invited back for a closing ceremony, at which the campers performed songs they had learned that week and displayed their craft projects.
Participants attend the camp for free thanks to area donors. Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring next year’s camp may contact the Akron General Foundation at 330-344-6888.
For more information on children’s bereavement programs offered by Hospice of VNS, call 330-668-4662.
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Sweet Smell of Success” - 7/31/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Sarah Schaefer and Rebekah Jean - 7/31/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: JD Eicher & The Goodnights - 7/31/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/31/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014