Hospice hosts Camp Promise
|Photo courtesy of Hospice of VNS|
Forty-one children participated in this year’s camp, shown above, which took place Aug. 5-8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily on the grounds of the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center. A total of four teens and 20 adults volunteered their time.
Throughout the week, the children keep journals that capture their feelings, drawings, songs and pictures of their new friends, and are encouraged to reference them throughout the year, particularly on difficult days. The camp also gave the children an opportunity to interact with others their age who are experiencing loss and to learn that they are not alone.
Parents or guardians attended an hour-long session about “Helping Your Grieving Child” early in the week to help them understand what their child is experiencing and gather practical tips on how to help them at home. They were also invited back for a closing ceremony, at which the campers performed songs they had learned that week and displayed their craft projects.
Participants attend the camp for free thanks to area donors. Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring next year’s camp may contact the Akron General Foundation at 330-344-6888.
For more information on children’s bereavement programs offered by Hospice of VNS, call 330-668-4662.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Cuyahoga Valley Frackers and Brick Road Ramblers - 4/18/2014
- Antiquarian Book Fair - 4/18/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014