Hospice hosts Camp Promise
|Photo courtesy of Hospice of VNS|
Forty-one children participated in this year’s camp, shown above, which took place Aug. 5-8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily on the grounds of the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center. A total of four teens and 20 adults volunteered their time.
Throughout the week, the children keep journals that capture their feelings, drawings, songs and pictures of their new friends, and are encouraged to reference them throughout the year, particularly on difficult days. The camp also gave the children an opportunity to interact with others their age who are experiencing loss and to learn that they are not alone.
Parents or guardians attended an hour-long session about “Helping Your Grieving Child” early in the week to help them understand what their child is experiencing and gather practical tips on how to help them at home. They were also invited back for a closing ceremony, at which the campers performed songs they had learned that week and displayed their craft projects.
Participants attend the camp for free thanks to area donors. Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring next year’s camp may contact the Akron General Foundation at 330-344-6888.
For more information on children’s bereavement programs offered by Hospice of VNS, call 330-668-4662.
More Community News
- Dickinson reclaiming County Council seat
- CVNP celebrates NPS centennial
- Bath road levy renewal on ballot
- Mentors help connect students to colleges, careers
- Minority business group marks first year
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Council, administration clash over Nash Heights pump station
- Copley trustees prep township for winter
- Richfield Council, officials bid farewell to service director
- Richfield trustees declare property a nuisance
- Trump addresses large crowd in Akron
Calendar of Events
- Introduction to Spanish - 8/26/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 8/26/2016
- Zoso (Led Zeppelin tribute)with the Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 8/26/2016
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016