Hospice hosts Camp Promise
|Photo courtesy of Hospice of VNS|
Forty-one children participated in this year’s camp, shown above, which took place Aug. 5-8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily on the grounds of the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center. A total of four teens and 20 adults volunteered their time.
Throughout the week, the children keep journals that capture their feelings, drawings, songs and pictures of their new friends, and are encouraged to reference them throughout the year, particularly on difficult days. The camp also gave the children an opportunity to interact with others their age who are experiencing loss and to learn that they are not alone.
Parents or guardians attended an hour-long session about “Helping Your Grieving Child” early in the week to help them understand what their child is experiencing and gather practical tips on how to help them at home. They were also invited back for a closing ceremony, at which the campers performed songs they had learned that week and displayed their craft projects.
Participants attend the camp for free thanks to area donors. Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring next year’s camp may contact the Akron General Foundation at 330-344-6888.
For more information on children’s bereavement programs offered by Hospice of VNS, call 330-668-4662.
More Community News
- APS plans to create health career academy
- Nice day for a swim … if you’re a polar bear
- Akron Council defends hiring city residents
- County may make clean break from Norton sewers
- Lippman School celebrating 50th anniversary
- West Side News & Notes
- Faith Lutheran to dedicate new building
- Stow Clerk of Courts Advisory Council hosts inaugural meeting
- New residents celebrate first winter in Akron
- Norton Council lowers costs for sewer assessments
- Fairlawn officials working toward passing final 2015 budget
- Falls Council OKs site plans for Menards, townhome project
- Bath enters into agreement with Falls for jail services
- First Bath Community Fund meeting planned
- Richfield Village Council OKs fire/EMS contract with township
- Trustees select design-build teams for new building
- Copley trustees oppose removal of Minor Road traffic signal
- Granger officials introduced to new recycling proposal
- Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank kicks off Harvest for Hunger
- Junior League honors members
Calendar of Events
- Animal Tales - 2/27/2015
- From the Vault: 40 Years of Excellence - 2/27/2015
- Edwin Scholes: Birds of Paradise - 2/27/2015
- A New Adventure - 2/28/2015
- Mums the Word - 2/28/2015