Mustard Seed finally takes root
|Photo courtesy of the city of Akron|
Dignitaries from the city joined the Nabors family, which owns Mustard Seed, for the groundbreaking to mark the start of construction. The new grocery destination will be a two-story, 23,000-square-foot grocery store, with a second-floor terrace and restaurant, and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2014.
Shown above, from left, are Ward 8 Councilwoman Marilyn Keith, Gabriel and Abraham Nabors, Mayor Don Plusquellic, Phillip Nabors, Margaret Nabors and at-large Councilman Jeff Fusco.
The Nabors family operates two other Mustard Seed locations, in Bath and Solon.
“Our whole family really cares about the well-being of our community,” said Phillip Nabors in a press release. “Our hope is to hire locally for the many positions that will be available in the near future.”
Habitat for Humanity will deconstruct a vacant retail building on the site at the intersection of West Market Street and North Portage Path, with the intention to recycle and reuse many of the materials for Habitat projects.
“I am thrilled to be here today breaking ground for the new Highland Square grocery store and am thankful to the Nabors for stepping up to the plate and making this difficult site work for their new store,” Plusquellic said in the press release. “The distinctive design of this store blends with the character of the neighborhood.”
— By Stephanie Kist
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The Help - 9/19/2014
- Medina County Story Fest - 9/20/2014
- A Vision to Share, a Story to Tell - 9/20/2014
- “Deadly Murder” - 9/20/2014
- Using Ancestry in Your Genealogy Research - 9/20/2014