Mustard Seed finally takes root
|Photo courtesy of the city of Akron|
Dignitaries from the city joined the Nabors family, which owns Mustard Seed, for the groundbreaking to mark the start of construction. The new grocery destination will be a two-story, 23,000-square-foot grocery store, with a second-floor terrace and restaurant, and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2014.
Shown above, from left, are Ward 8 Councilwoman Marilyn Keith, Gabriel and Abraham Nabors, Mayor Don Plusquellic, Phillip Nabors, Margaret Nabors and at-large Councilman Jeff Fusco.
The Nabors family operates two other Mustard Seed locations, in Bath and Solon.
“Our whole family really cares about the well-being of our community,” said Phillip Nabors in a press release. “Our hope is to hire locally for the many positions that will be available in the near future.”
Habitat for Humanity will deconstruct a vacant retail building on the site at the intersection of West Market Street and North Portage Path, with the intention to recycle and reuse many of the materials for Habitat projects.
“I am thrilled to be here today breaking ground for the new Highland Square grocery store and am thankful to the Nabors for stepping up to the plate and making this difficult site work for their new store,” Plusquellic said in the press release. “The distinctive design of this store blends with the character of the neighborhood.”
— By Stephanie Kist
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014