Mustard Seed finally takes root
|Photo courtesy of the city of Akron|
Dignitaries from the city joined the Nabors family, which owns Mustard Seed, for the groundbreaking to mark the start of construction. The new grocery destination will be a two-story, 23,000-square-foot grocery store, with a second-floor terrace and restaurant, and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2014.
Shown above, from left, are Ward 8 Councilwoman Marilyn Keith, Gabriel and Abraham Nabors, Mayor Don Plusquellic, Phillip Nabors, Margaret Nabors and at-large Councilman Jeff Fusco.
The Nabors family operates two other Mustard Seed locations, in Bath and Solon.
“Our whole family really cares about the well-being of our community,” said Phillip Nabors in a press release. “Our hope is to hire locally for the many positions that will be available in the near future.”
Habitat for Humanity will deconstruct a vacant retail building on the site at the intersection of West Market Street and North Portage Path, with the intention to recycle and reuse many of the materials for Habitat projects.
“I am thrilled to be here today breaking ground for the new Highland Square grocery store and am thankful to the Nabors for stepping up to the plate and making this difficult site work for their new store,” Plusquellic said in the press release. “The distinctive design of this store blends with the character of the neighborhood.”
— By Stephanie Kist
More Community News
- Council OKs $450 million capital budget
- Chili Open golfers warm up for spring
- Summit County Council welcomes Walters
- Aggregation, personnel on Akron ballots
- Roundtable staying true to mission
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley Boy Scout troop celebrating 60 years
- Two Fairlawn Fire officers promoted during Council meeting
- Norton continues discussion of Nash Heights project
- Copley trustees approve funds for road repairs
- Falls addressing issues at Broad Boulevard railroad crossing
- Richfield Village celebrating 50th anniversary next year
- Richfield trustees get update on antidrug programs
- Granger trustees approve budget for 2016
Calendar of Events
- Adult Ceramic Project Class - 2/11/2016
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 2/11/2016
- Yoga in the Park - 2/11/2016
- Teen Advisory Board - 2/11/2016
- “Intruder in the Dust”: - 2/11/2016