American Red Cross taking nominations for Hero Awards
GREATER AKRON — Each year, the American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties holds two events, the Acts of Courage in Summit County and the Real Heroes Awards in Portage County to honor local individuals who have performed courageous acts to save a life. The Red Cross is seeking nominations for the 2013 calendar year.
To submit a nomination, visit the www.redcross.org/oh/akron and click on the “Local Programs” link. Nominations can be accepted online or through the use of a mail-in/fax-in nomination form that can be downloaded from the website or obtained from the Red Cross offices at 501 W. Market St. in Akron.
The American Red Cross annually recognizes those residents of Summit and Portage Counties who have acted courageously and selflessly in a time of emergency. Often at great risk and sacrifice to their own personal safety, comfort and well-being, these ordinary individuals have acted in a heroic manner by reaching out to help others in times of greatest need, according to Red Cross officials.
The heroic event may have happened anywhere, but must have occurred in 2013. Nominees must reside or be employed in Summit or Portage county. The deadline for nominations is Dec. 31. All nominations will be reviewed by a judge’s panel, and heroes will be selected in January.
The selected 2013 heroes will be honored during a special reception in the spring of 2014. For more information, call the American Red Cross at 330-535-2224.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Clearfork Bluegrass Quartet - 3/7/2014
- Dance Fever Open House - 3/7/2014
- James Renner - 3/7/2014
- Runa - 3/7/2014
- Jonathan Butler - 3/7/2014