American Red Cross taking nominations for Hero Awards
GREATER AKRON — Each year, the American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties holds two events, the Acts of Courage in Summit County and the Real Heroes Awards in Portage County to honor local individuals who have performed courageous acts to save a life. The Red Cross is seeking nominations for the 2013 calendar year.
To submit a nomination, visit the www.redcross.org/oh/akron and click on the “Local Programs” link. Nominations can be accepted online or through the use of a mail-in/fax-in nomination form that can be downloaded from the website or obtained from the Red Cross offices at 501 W. Market St. in Akron.
The American Red Cross annually recognizes those residents of Summit and Portage Counties who have acted courageously and selflessly in a time of emergency. Often at great risk and sacrifice to their own personal safety, comfort and well-being, these ordinary individuals have acted in a heroic manner by reaching out to help others in times of greatest need, according to Red Cross officials.
The heroic event may have happened anywhere, but must have occurred in 2013. Nominees must reside or be employed in Summit or Portage county. The deadline for nominations is Dec. 31. All nominations will be reviewed by a judge’s panel, and heroes will be selected in January.
The selected 2013 heroes will be honored during a special reception in the spring of 2014. For more information, call the American Red Cross at 330-535-2224.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014