Green Chamber adopts changes for Expo
GREEN — The Green Chamber of Commerce has changed the date, location, name and focus of the former Green Expo.
The event, renamed the Community Expo and Health Fair, will take place Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC), located at 4401 Shriver Road.
The new date will give visitors an opportunity to learn about local products and services before the holiday rush, according to chamber officials. In addition, the one-day event was expanded to include a Health Fair, which attendees can use to make sure they are ready for the increased stress and cold of the winter months. Admission to the event is free.
“It’s a great community event for all ages, from youngsters to senior citizens,” said Chamber CEO Lori Howerton. “Residents will leave with a wealth of information regarding goods and services available in our community and surrounding area.”
Event visitors will be able to find vendors that can hang holiday lights and clean their carpets, as well as unique gift ideas from local providers, according to chamber officials. As in past years, businesses and organizations will host booths. Residents can talk with company representatives, participate in free screenings, enter contests and receive free gifts. No sales are permitted, but orders can be taken and appointments scheduled for visitors’ convenience, according to chamber officials.
In addition, a special menu will be available in the cafeteria, along with entertainment.
Chamber officials said they moved the site for the Expo from Green High School to the PLCC to help showcase the resources the educational facility has to offer and in an effort to reach out and involve adjoining communities in the event. The PLCC teaches adults, as well as high school students, from Coventry, Green, Manchester and Springfield school districts in-demand, employable skills, according to chamber officials.
“We’re excited to be hosting the Green Community Expo and Health Fair,” said PLCC Superintendent Ben Moore. “This is a valuable community event, and we are happy to participate not only as the host site, but to have the opportunity to showcase the wonderful educational resource that PLCC offers this community. We’ve recently completed extensive renovations to improve the efficiency of the facility, and this event will give the community a great opportunity to experience the changes we have made.”
Businesses and organizations are invited to participate in the Expo and should reserve space by Sept. 27. A standard booth is $90 for Green Chamber members and $135 for others. Booths include a table, table cover and chairs. Prime locations are awarded to premier event sponsors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014