Green Chamber adopts changes for Expo
GREEN — The Green Chamber of Commerce has changed the date, location, name and focus of the former Green Expo.
The event, renamed the Community Expo and Health Fair, will take place Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC), located at 4401 Shriver Road.
The new date will give visitors an opportunity to learn about local products and services before the holiday rush, according to chamber officials. In addition, the one-day event was expanded to include a Health Fair, which attendees can use to make sure they are ready for the increased stress and cold of the winter months. Admission to the event is free.
“It’s a great community event for all ages, from youngsters to senior citizens,” said Chamber CEO Lori Howerton. “Residents will leave with a wealth of information regarding goods and services available in our community and surrounding area.”
Event visitors will be able to find vendors that can hang holiday lights and clean their carpets, as well as unique gift ideas from local providers, according to chamber officials. As in past years, businesses and organizations will host booths. Residents can talk with company representatives, participate in free screenings, enter contests and receive free gifts. No sales are permitted, but orders can be taken and appointments scheduled for visitors’ convenience, according to chamber officials.
In addition, a special menu will be available in the cafeteria, along with entertainment.
Chamber officials said they moved the site for the Expo from Green High School to the PLCC to help showcase the resources the educational facility has to offer and in an effort to reach out and involve adjoining communities in the event. The PLCC teaches adults, as well as high school students, from Coventry, Green, Manchester and Springfield school districts in-demand, employable skills, according to chamber officials.
“We’re excited to be hosting the Green Community Expo and Health Fair,” said PLCC Superintendent Ben Moore. “This is a valuable community event, and we are happy to participate not only as the host site, but to have the opportunity to showcase the wonderful educational resource that PLCC offers this community. We’ve recently completed extensive renovations to improve the efficiency of the facility, and this event will give the community a great opportunity to experience the changes we have made.”
Businesses and organizations are invited to participate in the Expo and should reserve space by Sept. 27. A standard booth is $90 for Green Chamber members and $135 for others. Booths include a table, table cover and chairs. Prime locations are awarded to premier event sponsors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/23/2014
- A New Beginning - 12/24/2014
- Presents for Nature Realm Critters - 12/24/2014
- School’s Out Cookout: bring hot dogs and buns - 12/26/2014
- A New Adventure - 12/27/2014