Morgan Foundation awards grants
HUDSON — The Burton D. Morgan Foundation announced grants totaling $982,500 this summer to support programs that focus on entrepreneurship for youth, college students and adults.
The latest round of grants included an additional award of $350,000 for the Fund for Our Economic Future to assist with Phase 4 activities. This follow-on grant boosts the foundation’s contributions to a total of $500,000 for the fund’s latest three-year phase. The Fund for Our Economic Future, now in its 10th year, aims to strengthen the economic competitiveness of Northeast Ohio through grant-making, research and civic engagement.
Additional grants approved by the foundation’s trustees in June include:
- Akron Public Schools, $50,000 over two years to develop the Akron STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) High School’s entrepreneurship program and to equip the school’s Entrepreneur Learning Lab;
- Akron Community Service Center and Urban League, $20,000 for the Partnership for the Minority Business Accelerator (PMBA) Class V;
- Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron, $100,000 for the entrepreneurship graduate internship program and for the Technology Development Fund;
- Bad Girl Ventures, up to $25,000 for Cleveland operations and for an Akron pilot program;
- BioEnterprise, up to $200,000 for business development and entrepreneurial assistance and for the graduate internship program in 2014;
- Entrepreneurial Engagement Ohio, $55,000 for Northeast Ohio programs in 2013-14, including the new Introduction to the Innovation Economy of Northeast Ohio online course;
- JumpStart Inc., $20,000 for meeting coordination and facilitation, communications and strategy implementation associated with the regional “Gazelles Strategy” initiative; and
- Akron Area YMCA, $16,000 for a business boot camp and entrepreneurship program for youth.
Since February, the foundation also approved a number of small grants to support youth, collegiate and adult entrepreneurship programs, including a $5,000 grant to the Akron Area Arts Alliance for the Artists Entrepreneurship Institute in Summit County.
A more complete list of grants awarded can be found by visiting bdmorganfdn.org/grants-awarded.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014