Morgan Foundation awards grants
HUDSON — The Burton D. Morgan Foundation announced grants totaling $982,500 this summer to support programs that focus on entrepreneurship for youth, college students and adults.
The latest round of grants included an additional award of $350,000 for the Fund for Our Economic Future to assist with Phase 4 activities. This follow-on grant boosts the foundation’s contributions to a total of $500,000 for the fund’s latest three-year phase. The Fund for Our Economic Future, now in its 10th year, aims to strengthen the economic competitiveness of Northeast Ohio through grant-making, research and civic engagement.
Additional grants approved by the foundation’s trustees in June include:
- Akron Public Schools, $50,000 over two years to develop the Akron STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) High School’s entrepreneurship program and to equip the school’s Entrepreneur Learning Lab;
- Akron Community Service Center and Urban League, $20,000 for the Partnership for the Minority Business Accelerator (PMBA) Class V;
- Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron, $100,000 for the entrepreneurship graduate internship program and for the Technology Development Fund;
- Bad Girl Ventures, up to $25,000 for Cleveland operations and for an Akron pilot program;
- BioEnterprise, up to $200,000 for business development and entrepreneurial assistance and for the graduate internship program in 2014;
- Entrepreneurial Engagement Ohio, $55,000 for Northeast Ohio programs in 2013-14, including the new Introduction to the Innovation Economy of Northeast Ohio online course;
- JumpStart Inc., $20,000 for meeting coordination and facilitation, communications and strategy implementation associated with the regional “Gazelles Strategy” initiative; and
- Akron Area YMCA, $16,000 for a business boot camp and entrepreneurship program for youth.
Since February, the foundation also approved a number of small grants to support youth, collegiate and adult entrepreneurship programs, including a $5,000 grant to the Akron Area Arts Alliance for the Artists Entrepreneurship Institute in Summit County.
A more complete list of grants awarded can be found by visiting bdmorganfdn.org/grants-awarded.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014
- History Hike - 11/28/2014