Morgan Foundation awards grants
HUDSON — The Burton D. Morgan Foundation announced grants totaling $982,500 this summer to support programs that focus on entrepreneurship for youth, college students and adults.
The latest round of grants included an additional award of $350,000 for the Fund for Our Economic Future to assist with Phase 4 activities. This follow-on grant boosts the foundation’s contributions to a total of $500,000 for the fund’s latest three-year phase. The Fund for Our Economic Future, now in its 10th year, aims to strengthen the economic competitiveness of Northeast Ohio through grant-making, research and civic engagement.
Additional grants approved by the foundation’s trustees in June include:
- Akron Public Schools, $50,000 over two years to develop the Akron STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) High School’s entrepreneurship program and to equip the school’s Entrepreneur Learning Lab;
- Akron Community Service Center and Urban League, $20,000 for the Partnership for the Minority Business Accelerator (PMBA) Class V;
- Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron, $100,000 for the entrepreneurship graduate internship program and for the Technology Development Fund;
- Bad Girl Ventures, up to $25,000 for Cleveland operations and for an Akron pilot program;
- BioEnterprise, up to $200,000 for business development and entrepreneurial assistance and for the graduate internship program in 2014;
- Entrepreneurial Engagement Ohio, $55,000 for Northeast Ohio programs in 2013-14, including the new Introduction to the Innovation Economy of Northeast Ohio online course;
- JumpStart Inc., $20,000 for meeting coordination and facilitation, communications and strategy implementation associated with the regional “Gazelles Strategy” initiative; and
- Akron Area YMCA, $16,000 for a business boot camp and entrepreneurship program for youth.
Since February, the foundation also approved a number of small grants to support youth, collegiate and adult entrepreneurship programs, including a $5,000 grant to the Akron Area Arts Alliance for the Artists Entrepreneurship Institute in Summit County.
A more complete list of grants awarded can be found by visiting bdmorganfdn.org/grants-awarded.
More Community News
- Akron police to assist at GOP convention
- Junior Rangers explore CVNP
- County looking at summer roadwork spending
- Celebrate national parks’ centennial at CVNP
- Deconstruction program building up community
- West Side News & Notes
- ACLU sues Akron over panhandling law
- Temporary bridge bypass opens on Towpath
- Proposed charter changes in Fairlawn continue to draw debate
- Copley trustees to appoint new fiscal officer
- Bids announced for 2016 road projects in Bath
- Boston trustees discuss policy on culvert pipe installation
- Sharon trustees address transportation concerns
Calendar of Events
- Small Footprint: Road Trip - 5/5/2016
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 5/5/2016
- Mudcakes Clay Class: ages 6-8 - 5/5/2016
- “Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens” - 5/5/2016
- Homeschoolers: Backyard Pollinators: ages 7-10 - 5/6/2016