Morgan Foundation awards grants
HUDSON — The Burton D. Morgan Foundation announced grants totaling $982,500 this summer to support programs that focus on entrepreneurship for youth, college students and adults.
The latest round of grants included an additional award of $350,000 for the Fund for Our Economic Future to assist with Phase 4 activities. This follow-on grant boosts the foundation’s contributions to a total of $500,000 for the fund’s latest three-year phase. The Fund for Our Economic Future, now in its 10th year, aims to strengthen the economic competitiveness of Northeast Ohio through grant-making, research and civic engagement.
Additional grants approved by the foundation’s trustees in June include:
- Akron Public Schools, $50,000 over two years to develop the Akron STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) High School’s entrepreneurship program and to equip the school’s Entrepreneur Learning Lab;
- Akron Community Service Center and Urban League, $20,000 for the Partnership for the Minority Business Accelerator (PMBA) Class V;
- Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron, $100,000 for the entrepreneurship graduate internship program and for the Technology Development Fund;
- Bad Girl Ventures, up to $25,000 for Cleveland operations and for an Akron pilot program;
- BioEnterprise, up to $200,000 for business development and entrepreneurial assistance and for the graduate internship program in 2014;
- Entrepreneurial Engagement Ohio, $55,000 for Northeast Ohio programs in 2013-14, including the new Introduction to the Innovation Economy of Northeast Ohio online course;
- JumpStart Inc., $20,000 for meeting coordination and facilitation, communications and strategy implementation associated with the regional “Gazelles Strategy” initiative; and
- Akron Area YMCA, $16,000 for a business boot camp and entrepreneurship program for youth.
Since February, the foundation also approved a number of small grants to support youth, collegiate and adult entrepreneurship programs, including a $5,000 grant to the Akron Area Arts Alliance for the Artists Entrepreneurship Institute in Summit County.
A more complete list of grants awarded can be found by visiting bdmorganfdn.org/grants-awarded.
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017