Netherlands biomedical company opening U.S. operations in Akron
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Akron Development Corp., through its Akron BioInvestment Funds LLC, and Team Northeast Ohio announced Quest Medical Imaging, a biomedical company from the Netherlands, has chosen to locate its U.S. headquarters in the Akron Global Business Accelerator.
Quest received Akron BioInvestment funding to commercialize its Artemis Handheld System, the world’s first simultaneous full-color and fluorescent medical imaging system, according to city of Akron officials. This imaging device allows surgeons to see a real-time view of tissue and images that were previously unattainable, enabling surgeons to more accurately perform surgery on tumors, which reduces damage to healthy tissue and nerves, according to Akron officials. Artemis applications include oncology, cardiovascular, plastic surgery and more.
According to Akron officials, the Akron BioInvestment funding will help Quest in further product development and in commercializing its technologies in North America.
Quest Medical is part of the Quest Group, a company that “develops and manufactures high quality multi-spectral cameras and dedicated software for advanced imaging applications … for defense and security, science and life science, medical industry, agriculture and industry,” according to the company’s website, www.quest-innovations.com.
“Akron is an ideal location for our U.S. headquarters,” said Richard Meester, president/CEO of Quest Medical Imaging. “The ability to be within a few miles of several major hospitals, a short flight from our key customers and a large potential customer base, and within close proximity to the skilled students coming out of the local universities makes Akron a perfect landing spot.”
According to Tom Waltermire, CEO of Team Northeast Ohio, Quest considered many locations nationally during the two years the city worked with the company.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014