Netherlands biomedical company opening U.S. operations in Akron
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Akron Development Corp., through its Akron BioInvestment Funds LLC, and Team Northeast Ohio announced Quest Medical Imaging, a biomedical company from the Netherlands, has chosen to locate its U.S. headquarters in the Akron Global Business Accelerator.
Quest received Akron BioInvestment funding to commercialize its Artemis Handheld System, the world’s first simultaneous full-color and fluorescent medical imaging system, according to city of Akron officials. This imaging device allows surgeons to see a real-time view of tissue and images that were previously unattainable, enabling surgeons to more accurately perform surgery on tumors, which reduces damage to healthy tissue and nerves, according to Akron officials. Artemis applications include oncology, cardiovascular, plastic surgery and more.
According to Akron officials, the Akron BioInvestment funding will help Quest in further product development and in commercializing its technologies in North America.
Quest Medical is part of the Quest Group, a company that “develops and manufactures high quality multi-spectral cameras and dedicated software for advanced imaging applications … for defense and security, science and life science, medical industry, agriculture and industry,” according to the company’s website, www.quest-innovations.com.
“Akron is an ideal location for our U.S. headquarters,” said Richard Meester, president/CEO of Quest Medical Imaging. “The ability to be within a few miles of several major hospitals, a short flight from our key customers and a large potential customer base, and within close proximity to the skilled students coming out of the local universities makes Akron a perfect landing spot.”
According to Tom Waltermire, CEO of Team Northeast Ohio, Quest considered many locations nationally during the two years the city worked with the company.
Maria Lindsay contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
Calendar of Events
- “Finding Dory” - 12/8/2016
- Felted Beaded Necklace - 12/8/2016
- University of Akron Chamber Orchestra - 12/8/2016
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/8/2016
- Baby Play - 12/8/2016