Primary sets stage for November election
Plus, Independents file for General Election
SUMMIT COUNTY — Akron area residents weighed in on Democratic and Republican candidates in the Sept. 10 Primary Election in the few races that were contested at the party level.
Some voters in the South Side News Leader’s coverage area voted for Barberton Municipal Court Clerk.
According to the Summit County Board of Elections (BOE), voter turnout was about 8 percent. Of the votes cast, Democrats cast 86 percent, Republicans cast 13 percent, and less than one-half of a percent were nonpartisan. As of presstime, the BOE had yet to certify the results.
Barberton Municipal Court Clerk
In the Democratic Primary for Barberton Municipal Court clerk, state Rep. Zack Milkovich (D-District 37) defeated Jon Poda, a former at-large representative on Summit County Council, with 60 percent of the vote.
Milkovich will face incumbent Republican Diana Stevenson, who soundly defeated Larry Ashbaugh with 81 percent of the vote, in November. Stevenson was appointed clerk in January 2012.
The court serves the communities of Barberton, Clinton, Copley, Coventry, Green, New Franklin and Norton.
Other election news
In other election news, Sept. 9 was the BOE’s deadline for Independent candidates for the November election.
With longtime Akron Municipal Court Judge John Holcomb not filing for re-election, Julie Schafer, a current member of the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education, and Gertrude Wilms, chief city prosecutor for the city of Akron, will vie for the seat. Holcomb, 64, has served on Akron Municipal Court since 1996.
Incumbent Judge Katarina Cook will face Jon Oldham, a magistrate/judicial attorney for Summit County Probate Court, this November.
The Akron Municipal Court serves the cities of Akron and Fairlawn; the townships of Bath, Richfield and Springfield; the villages of Lakemore and Richfield; and the part of Mogadore that is in Summit County.
The BOE had yet to certify the Independent candidates by presstime.
For a complete list of candidates and results, visit www.summitcountyboe.com.
More Community News
- Dickinson reclaiming County Council seat
- CVNP celebrates NPS centennial
- Bath road levy renewal on ballot
- Mentors help connect students to colleges, careers
- Minority business group marks first year
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Council, administration clash over Nash Heights pump station
- Copley trustees prep township for winter
- Richfield Council, officials bid farewell to service director
- Richfield trustees declare property a nuisance
- Trump addresses large crowd in Akron
Calendar of Events
- Introduction to Spanish - 8/26/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 8/26/2016
- Zoso (Led Zeppelin tribute)with the Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 8/26/2016
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016