Springfield trustees accept CDBG grant
Springfield officials have approved another portion of a plan to develop a walking trail between the Lakemore Village and the township.
During a special Board of Trustees meeting Sept. 5, trustees accepted a Community Development Block Grant of $45,000 for the Rails to Trails Walking Path.
According to township officials, the path is currently a right-of-way owned by Ohio Edison that runs from Canfield Road in Springfield, through Lakemore and to Hayne Road, also in the township. Initially, a trail would be developed to connect Springfield Lake Park on Canfield Road to the new school building for students in seventh through 12th grades on Sanitarium Road currently under construction.
Canfield Road runs along the north side of Springfield Lake and is home to the Town Hall, the Boyd Esler Senior and Community Center, a new restroom facility, the Vincent J. Mealy Bicentennial Gazebo and the Senior Playground. The section of the trail in Lakemore would likely run by the Tri-County Plaza, according to Trustee Dean Young.
Eventually, the trail could connect to Waterworks Parks and neighborhoods in the northeast area of Lakemore, and possibly to Springfield Bog Metro Park, according to the grant application.
The trail could also “expand the scope and recreational fitness potential of the senior playground and could provide future economic development opportunities such as a corridor for fiber optic cable expansion and as a catalyst for future recreational amenities along Springfield Lake.”
Young said there are several more pieces to the plan that must be ironed out before officials can move forward with the project.
Also at the meeting, the board considered text amendments as recommended by the Zoning Commission, along with staff comments submitted by the Summit County Planning Commission regarding Articles 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 16 of the township’s Zoning Code. For information on the articles, visit the township’s website at www.springtwp.com.
Trustees agreed to continue the public hearing for Article 3, Section 3.03G, and Article 11 until Sept. 26 at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road. The public hearing for Articles 5, 7, 13 and 16 took place Sept. 12.
In other business, the board approved hiring Mike Marius to a full-time position as a firemedic, effective Sept. 5, and accepted an expenditure of up to $3,000 to Akron Wheel & Frame Inc. for the repair of a frame rail on a Road Department truck.
The Board of Trustees met yesterday, Sept. 12, for a regular meeting. A report on that meeting will be in next week’s issue.
The next regular Springfield Board of Trustees meeting will take place Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
- Green Council considers budget
- Coventry sparkles with new holiday event
- Village studying marijuana business issue
- Fill-A-Cruiser events making holidays merrier
- South Side News & Notes
- DAR Chapter honors veterans
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
Calendar of Events
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016
- Haiku Study Group - 12/10/2016
- John Cleese and “The Holy Grail” - 12/10/2016
- Jingle Bell Bash to benefit Ronald McDonald House of Akron - 12/10/2016