Veterans park gets POW/MIA wall
Vietnam veteran Ron Storad, of New Franklin, is shown at right bottom as he salutes the colors during the dedication.
Shown above are members of VFW Post No. 3345 reflected on the wall at the dedication.
The memorial also features a reflection pond, which is pictured at right top with wreaths floating on it.
Shown below is Perry High School ROTC member Andrew Irwin as he launches a wreath on the pond.
OVMP Trustee Mick Krumpak, of New Franklin, said the wall and pond were funded after a three-year effort by Northeast Ohio veterans organizations. The event also included remarks by Capt. Vern Westfall, a decorated U.S. Air Force pilot who served multiple tours in Vietnam and missions in the Arctic, Asia and Korea.
For more information on the OVMP and the new features, go to www.ovmp.org.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
Photos: Lew Stamp
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014
- Project Ujima Wellness Circle - 7/26/2014
- Akron Arts Expo - 7/26/2014
- Gentle Yoga for Seniors - 7/26/2014
- NEOS Dance Theatre - 7/26/2014