Thousands take part in Akron Marathon
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Marathon events Sept. 28 included the Full Marathon, presented by Time Warner Cable; the Half Marathon, presented by Acme Fresh Market; the Team Relay, presented by Novo Nordisk; and the Kids Fun Run, presented by Akron Children’s Hospital.
According to marathon officials, Getachew Asfaw, of Silver Springs, Md., placed first in the men’s full marathon and shattered the course record that was set in 2012 by nearly 3 minutes with a time of 2 hours, 15 minutes and 59 seconds. He is shown at top in front with his trophy, along with other men’s full marathon placers, back row from left: Richard Kessio, of Toledo, fifth; Tisia Kiplangat, of Rochester, N.Y., fourth; George Towett, of Hebron, Ky., third; and Joseph Mutinda, of Santa Fe, N.M., second.
Shown above right is Ludmilla Stepanova, of Hebron, Ky., who was the winner in the women’s full marathon with a time of 2:38:18. Other women in the top five included: Hirut Guangul, of New York, N.Y., second place; Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, third; Katie Kay, of Fairview Park, fourth; and Tracy Meder, of Stow, fifth.
According to marathon officials, 1,268 relay teams competed, making the Akron Marathon host of the largest marathon relay race in the country. Also, marathon officials reported approximately 2,000 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
A complete list of race results is available online at www.akronmarathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014