Thousands take part in Akron Marathon
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Marathon events Sept. 28 included the Full Marathon, presented by Time Warner Cable; the Half Marathon, presented by Acme Fresh Market; the Team Relay, presented by Novo Nordisk; and the Kids Fun Run, presented by Akron Children’s Hospital.
According to marathon officials, Getachew Asfaw, of Silver Springs, Md., placed first in the men’s full marathon and shattered the course record that was set in 2012 by nearly 3 minutes with a time of 2 hours, 15 minutes and 59 seconds. He is shown at top in front with his trophy, along with other men’s full marathon placers, back row from left: Richard Kessio, of Toledo, fifth; Tisia Kiplangat, of Rochester, N.Y., fourth; George Towett, of Hebron, Ky., third; and Joseph Mutinda, of Santa Fe, N.M., second.
Shown above right is Ludmilla Stepanova, of Hebron, Ky., who was the winner in the women’s full marathon with a time of 2:38:18. Other women in the top five included: Hirut Guangul, of New York, N.Y., second place; Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, third; Katie Kay, of Fairview Park, fourth; and Tracy Meder, of Stow, fifth.
According to marathon officials, 1,268 relay teams competed, making the Akron Marathon host of the largest marathon relay race in the country. Also, marathon officials reported approximately 2,000 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
A complete list of race results is available online at www.akronmarathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 1/22/2017
- “Ratatouille” - 1/22/2017
- All Things Rings: Beginner Level - 1/22/2017
- The Lincoln Inaugural Train - 1/23/2017
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017