Sharon trustees discuss Beach Road repairs
Repairing a stretch of Beach Road was one of the topics discussed at the Sharon Board of Trustees meeting Sept. 24.
Trustees explained the damage that has been done on Beach Road between Sharon-Copley and Ridgewood roads has been a factor in several traffic accidents, with one of them being fatal. The board said this issue comes down to what the township can do under Ohio law to repair the road in comparison to what they feel needs to be done to prevent future problems.
After much discussion, the board decided Trustee Kimberly Bolas Miller will talk to Medina County Civil Engineer Dan Becker to see what can be done. She said she will ask Becker if the road repairs can be declared an emergency, in which case, repairs can be done immediately. The board determined a special meeting may be necessary to discuss this issue further.
Also at the meeting, the board approved the following:
√ a request by Sharon Veterinary Hospital to post signs in the township for one week advertising an upcoming Halloween carnival for dogs;
√ a resolution to change the renewal date for employee health care in accordance with the Affordable Care Act from Dec. 1 to Dec. 13;
√ to add Christopher Fultz to the Sharon Township Fire Department as a probationary firefighter; and
√ to accept a bid from L&A Plumbing, Heating and Cooling in Granger for a new air conditioner in the Administration Building not to exceed $15,000.
In other business:
- Fiscal Officer Anita Haas reported the township’s employee handbook has been revised.
She also said Service Director Bob Turek will schedule interviews for the township’s open maintenance position.
- Trustee Ray Lurtz reported the Medina County Fall Foliage Tour will come through Sharon Oct. 12-13. He said Hartman, Fixler and Ridge roads will be included in the tour map.
Lurtz also discussed the previously proposed display case to be added to the Sharon Administration Building’s meeting room. He said he will talk to resident Kevin Robinette about the matter to come up with a plan on where to place the display case.
- Miller reported a Granger trustee talked to her about Sharon’s fiber optic node program and said the company sent a contract to the Sharon trustees. She explained Granger has limitations on the amount of fiber optic Internet service, and said she wants to work collectively with Granger.
- Trustee Brian Guccion extended his condolences to the family of resident Aaron Wilson, 28, who died unexpectedly Sept. 10.
Guccion reported the roof on the township’s maintenance building needs to be replaced and said that should be done sometime next year.
He also said the board received a letter from Medina Township asking for Sharon’s opinion on the use of inflatables at businesses.
Zoning Inspector Neil Jones said businesses cannot have moving objects, noises or flashing lights, but there is currently no policy on inflatables.
The trustees concurred they will not express an opinion on the issue.
Guccion also announced the state will place three catch basins on Sharon-Copley Road.
- Fire Capt. Dennis Miller requested a requisition to replace a leaf spring on the Sharon Fire Department’s pumper tanker for $1,126.
- Jones reported permits for two single-family homes, two accessory buildings and a canopy and handicap ramp for Bennett’s Country Kennel have been issued since the last meeting.
He also said there are signs advertising an upcoming Northside Christian Church event that are in the right-of-way on township streets. He explained the signs need to be moved out of the right-of-way and onto the property of the homeowners who posted them.
Jones also announced the Sharon Township Heritage Society will set up a booth selling commemorative bricks, plates, note cards and calendars at the Sharon Women’s Club Fall Festival Oct. 5 at Sharon Town Hall on Sharon Circle.
- Indian Hill Drive resident Dave Keller said the drainage ditch on his street is constantly wet and he has spotted aquatic vegetation growing inside the ditch.
Turek said the ditch should be cleaned within the next month.
Turek also reported State Road has been paved, and the paving of Thoroughbred Drive and Woodshire Lane in the Signature of Sharon development will start soon, as well as a culvert on Koontz Road.
- Resident Chris Karwowski announced the gazebo on Sharon Circle will be used for Tuba Christmas on the Circle Nov. 23. He added the Town Hall will be used in case of inclement weather. He said the concert will take place from 4 to 5 p.m. that day.
Turek also reported ditching in the township should start the first week of October.
The next trustees’ meeting is set for Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. at the Sharon Township Administration Building, 1322 Sharon-Copley Road on Sharon Circle.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Community Day brightens up weekend in Richfield
- Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- School preparation focus of Summit for Kids
- Teen completes Akron-to-Miami cycling adventure
- West Side News & Notes
- Suspect arrested for CVNP shooting
- Junior League of Akron names award recipients
- Trustees discuss zoning issues
- Richfield Council OKs selling surplus items
- Fairlawn enacts moratorium on medical marijuana businesses
- Trustees OK contracts for windows, doors
- Trustees address fiscal matters
- Granger trustees hear about daytime burglaries
- Granger residents report break-ins
- State Route 94/Granger Road closure delayed
- Volunteer Guardian Program seeking volunteers
- Green to share political insights at Akron Woman’s City Club
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- PLCC burn building training center dedicated
- Coventry board addresses open enrollment issues
- Coventry residents rally for Kew Drive demolition
- Manchester bond issue result due Aug. 19
- South Side News & Notes
- Summit County Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- Five arrested for historic schoolhouse fire, vandalism at parksmaria
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden - 8/24/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Ernie Krivda All Star Quartet - 8/24/2016
- Tots and Treats - 8/24/2016
- A New Beginning: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016