Springfield trustees move forward on trail
Springfield trustees are moving forward with plans to construct a 6,000-foot trail near the Akron-Springfield JEDD Park and Schrop Intermediate School.
At the Sept. 26 Board of Trustees meeting, trustees acknowledged receipt of a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health under the Creating Healthy Communities Program. Trustees also approved a draft memorandum of understanding with Springfield Local School District for the project.
In addition to Springfield Local Schools, the township is partnering with the city of Akron, which has some oversight on the JEDD Park, and AESCO Manufacturing Services to construct the trail.
“It is going to be a wonderful venture, and we look to start this in October,” said Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz.
Foltz also announced 119 cars participated in the Sept. 22 Cruise-in along Canfield Road, and said it would be “bigger and better next year.” He also suggested the $206 raised in a raffle during the event be donated to the Volunteer Auxiliary Springfield Police.
In other business, trustees approved a work order for PS Construction Group for the removal of asbestos, prior to demolition, of 2295 Mingo Trail, in an amount not to exceed $450, and 3340 Sanitarium Road, in an amount not to exceed $750.
Trustees continued to review amendments to zoning resolutions that include Articles 3, 5, 7 and 13. The recommendations for the amendments came from a February Zoning Commission review, according Zoning Administrator Pat Ryan.
Among the proposed changes are:
√ Article 3 — limiting the authority of township officials to regulate agriculture uses on lots of 5 acres or more, as well as addressing the expiration of approvals for development plans;
√ Article 5 — limiting raising livestock on lots of 1 acre or less to chickens and two small livestock animals, which are defined in Article 16, as well as gasoline stations and vehicle service uses, the permitted location for the sale of vehicles, and requiring riparian setbacks in all developments;
√ Article 7 — addressing accessory use and temporary regulations; and
√ Article 13 — addressing the use of signs in any district.
Other proposed changes include Article 9, changing the allowed height of fences, walls and hedges in any front yard from 42 to 48 inches.
Also, a special meeting was held Oct. 3 to continue to review text amendments, including Article 2 (identifying roles and responsibilities of elected officials, administration and appointed staff and boards); Article 3; Article 7; Article 11 (regarding driveways, and parking and storage of vehicles and recreational vehicles in residential districts); Article 13; and Article 16 (definitions).
More details on the proposed changes are available on the township’s website, www.springtwp.com, by clicking on “Departments,” then “Zoning Department” and then “Zoning Resolution.”
For more information, contact Zoning Administrator Pat Ryan at 330-794-1739.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will take place Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 8/30/2014
- “Ride” - 8/30/2014
- Get Acquainted With Bridge - 8/30/2014
- Outdoor Yoga - 8/30/2014
- “Pre-Marathon” Book Sale - 8/30/2014