Local cemetery gets TLC
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
John Eaton, customer service administrator for the city of Akron, said many people were motivated to help at the cemetery after local media attention showed the state of the site, which is one of Akron’s oldest cemeteries. He added that about 70 people came out on Saturday to work, piling up 16 yards of tree debris and gathering 55 bags of trash.
Lending a hand that day were Uniontown resident Ed Cikity, Green resident Lynn Cikity and Norton resident Paula Cikity, who are shown at right top, from left, as they pull a tarp of debris.
Piles of branches are shown above as another volunteer works nearby.
Pictured at right bottom is city of Akron employee Susan Culver as she removes downed branches.
While some of the volunteers were family members of those buried at Mount Hope, the cemetery was also one of several sites addressed by youths that day as part of the Big Day of Serving. Group Mission Trips, a nonprofit group, organized the effort that brought teenagers from youth groups and churches throughout Ohio and surrounding states to help with projects at various sites in the city, according to city of Akron officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- City reports sewer savings after plan altered
- Tour offers peek into Copley landmark
- Akron tree ordinance sprouting changes
- Norton district returns to ballot for operating funds
- All welcome at GASP luncheon
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council OKs first set of employee contracts
- Council approves pump station location change
- Norton citizens mount referendum campaign on sewer transfer
- Council OKs Woodridge, Portage Crossing construction plans
- Copley trustees increase cemetery capacity with columbarium
- Richfield officials honor garden club for 80 years of service
- Trustees hear update on recycling program
Calendar of Events
- Cuyahoga Falls Farmers Market - 9/30/2016
- Glass and Found Object Sculpture - 9/30/2016
- The Babys - 9/30/2016
- Dueling Pianos to benefit the Battered Women’s Shelter - 9/30/2016
- Empty Bowl Dinner to benefit Good Neighbors of Cuyahoga Falls - 9/30/2016