Local cemetery gets TLC
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
John Eaton, customer service administrator for the city of Akron, said many people were motivated to help at the cemetery after local media attention showed the state of the site, which is one of Akron’s oldest cemeteries. He added that about 70 people came out on Saturday to work, piling up 16 yards of tree debris and gathering 55 bags of trash.
Lending a hand that day were Uniontown resident Ed Cikity, Green resident Lynn Cikity and Norton resident Paula Cikity, who are shown at right top, from left, as they pull a tarp of debris.
Piles of branches are shown above as another volunteer works nearby.
Pictured at right bottom is city of Akron employee Susan Culver as she removes downed branches.
While some of the volunteers were family members of those buried at Mount Hope, the cemetery was also one of several sites addressed by youths that day as part of the Big Day of Serving. Group Mission Trips, a nonprofit group, organized the effort that brought teenagers from youth groups and churches throughout Ohio and surrounding states to help with projects at various sites in the city, according to city of Akron officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Health officials turn attention to flu
- Vet Art Project promotes healing through shared stories
- Retired Norton police chief looks back on career
- Akron City Council commends Amber Vinson
- Preservation Alliance celebrating 30 years
- County planning Boston Mills Road improvements
- Natatorium’s deficit lessens in Falls
- Trustees discuss potential change in JEDD tax collection
- Cost will determine sewer system type in Norton
- Granger trustees approve work on Fire Station parking lot
- Richfield Village Council approves new cemetery fees
- Local Boy Scout earns Eagle rank with patio build
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Artists Who Teach - 10/31/2014
- “Family Health” Book Sale - 10/31/2014
- Beyond D.A.B.D.A.: Grief Counseling with Children and Adults - 10/31/2014
- The Midtown Men - 10/31/2014
- Creepy Crawlies - 10/31/2014