Military Officers Association hosts state convention
|Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, was the keynote speaker.|
|Photo courtesy of Dick Calta|
Maj. Gen. Daniel Hahn, USA, Retired, president of the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter, hosted the event. He and Fairlawn Mayor William Roth welcomed all attendees. Cadets from The University of Akron Army ROTC and Kent State University Army ROTC opened the two sessions.
Speakers during the day included National MOAA representatives; Jason Dominguez, Ohio interim director of military services; and State Sen. Frank LaRose (R-District 27). Topics included various ways to support active duty military members, veterans and their families. Specific areas discussed were MOAA membership and scholarship programs and various state and national efforts to recognize and support all military veterans.
A trip to the MAPS Museum in Green took place in the afternoon.
The keynote speaker was Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, who also is a former astronaut. Sega described his two space shuttle missions. He emphasized the importance of the science, technology, education and mathematics coalition and similar efforts into the future.
A special recognition of the nation’s POW/MIA also was conducted.
The next state convention will occur in 2015. Locally, the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter meets monthly. The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. at Prime 93, 4315 Manchester Road in New Franklin. The speaker will be Douglas Bonner, from the Tricare Support Office at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton. He will give an update to the changes taking place in the Tricare and Tricare for Life programs. Anyone interested in attending should contact Lt. Col. Dave Riegler, USA, Retired, at 330-592-2816 by Oct. 11.
More Community News
- State capital improvements issue on ballot
- Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
- West Akron rezoning request withdrawn
- Fundraisers for brain cancer research planned
- Eagle Scouts plan special trip to honor D-Day
- County Council considering raises for employees
- Fairlawn Police Department promotes five officers
- Peninsula Council approves agricultural district renewal
- Bath trustees conduct business for Revere students
- Dates set for annual Richfield community celebration
- Richfield trustees approve settlement for use of crusher
- Copley seeking new bids to raze Community Center
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Chuck Loeb, Everett Harp and Jeff Lorber - 4/25/2014
- Social Texas Hold ‘em for Seniors, - 4/25/2014
- Ballroom Nights - 4/25/2014
- How Sweet Was It? - 4/25/2014
- Akron Symphony Pops Orchestra - 4/25/2014