Military Officers Association hosts state convention
|Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, was the keynote speaker.|
|Photo courtesy of Dick Calta|
Maj. Gen. Daniel Hahn, USA, Retired, president of the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter, hosted the event. He and Fairlawn Mayor William Roth welcomed all attendees. Cadets from The University of Akron Army ROTC and Kent State University Army ROTC opened the two sessions.
Speakers during the day included National MOAA representatives; Jason Dominguez, Ohio interim director of military services; and State Sen. Frank LaRose (R-District 27). Topics included various ways to support active duty military members, veterans and their families. Specific areas discussed were MOAA membership and scholarship programs and various state and national efforts to recognize and support all military veterans.
A trip to the MAPS Museum in Green took place in the afternoon.
The keynote speaker was Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, who also is a former astronaut. Sega described his two space shuttle missions. He emphasized the importance of the science, technology, education and mathematics coalition and similar efforts into the future.
A special recognition of the nation’s POW/MIA also was conducted.
The next state convention will occur in 2015. Locally, the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter meets monthly. The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. at Prime 93, 4315 Manchester Road in New Franklin. The speaker will be Douglas Bonner, from the Tricare Support Office at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton. He will give an update to the changes taking place in the Tricare and Tricare for Life programs. Anyone interested in attending should contact Lt. Col. Dave Riegler, USA, Retired, at 330-592-2816 by Oct. 11.
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
- Council hears schoolhouse recommendation
- Springfield dedicates new playground, trail
- Coventry BOE seeking fiscal emergency release
- New Franklin Council absences delay adoption of legislation
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017
- In Search of Woodcocks - 4/29/2017
- World Tai Chi and Qi Gong Day - 4/29/2017
- Yoga - 4/29/2017
- Rubber City Beatlefest with Hard Days Night and Just Imagine: The Reunion Concert - 4/29/2017