Military Officers Association hosts state convention
|Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, was the keynote speaker.|
|Photo courtesy of Dick Calta|
Maj. Gen. Daniel Hahn, USA, Retired, president of the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter, hosted the event. He and Fairlawn Mayor William Roth welcomed all attendees. Cadets from The University of Akron Army ROTC and Kent State University Army ROTC opened the two sessions.
Speakers during the day included National MOAA representatives; Jason Dominguez, Ohio interim director of military services; and State Sen. Frank LaRose (R-District 27). Topics included various ways to support active duty military members, veterans and their families. Specific areas discussed were MOAA membership and scholarship programs and various state and national efforts to recognize and support all military veterans.
A trip to the MAPS Museum in Green took place in the afternoon.
The keynote speaker was Ronald Sega, Major General, USAF, Retired, who also is a former astronaut. Sega described his two space shuttle missions. He emphasized the importance of the science, technology, education and mathematics coalition and similar efforts into the future.
A special recognition of the nation’s POW/MIA also was conducted.
The next state convention will occur in 2015. Locally, the Ohio Western Reserve Chapter meets monthly. The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. at Prime 93, 4315 Manchester Road in New Franklin. The speaker will be Douglas Bonner, from the Tricare Support Office at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton. He will give an update to the changes taking place in the Tricare and Tricare for Life programs. Anyone interested in attending should contact Lt. Col. Dave Riegler, USA, Retired, at 330-592-2816 by Oct. 11.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs retiree benefit changes
- Treats in store at Akron Zoo
- County seeing opiate epidemic effects on finances
- APS board hears financial forecast
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office dedicates K-9 memorial
- ‘King of the Falls’ receives recognition at Broad Boulevard
- Falls leaf program start delayed to Oct. 31
- Falls seeking Youth Advisory Council members
- Norton Council OKs energy efficiency improvements
- Montrose Avenue zoning request in Bath withdrawn
- Norton Council clerk collecting pajama donations
- Boy Scout builds birdhouses for area shelters
- Copley trustees purchase third parcel for ‘campus’
- KAB recognizes board member, volunteer
- Richfield Council considering expanding cemeteries
- Granger board hears complaints about after-hours park use
- Lead poisoning prevention push underway
- SCPH gets $2.9 million for Lead Hazard Control program
- County Adopt-A-Thon rehomes pets
- Green honors fire captain for state award
- Springfield district hosts Halloween event
- Springfield sewer project starting soon
- Financial Planning Commission gets committee reports
- Green High School auditorium receiving sound upgrade
- South Side News & Notes
- New Franklin Council OKs raise for finance director
Calendar of Events
- Art of Vijay Rastogi - 10/28/2016
- Twilight Hike and Campfire - 10/28/2016
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 10/28/2016
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 10/28/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 10/28/2016