Bath trustees condemn two properties
The Bath Board of Trustees met Oct. 7 and approved resolutions condemning two local properties.
“This process can take several years to complete,” said Zoning Inspector William Funk of the steps involved in the township taking over a property and demolishing it. “It can be very frustrating and slow-moving.”
Funk explained that before a property can be condemned, several steps must be taken. A complaint must be issued to the trustees or the Zoning Department, usually from a neighbor or concerned citizen, according to Funk.
“It’s rare that the owners want to take responsibility,” Funk said.
Once the complaint has been issued, Funk continued, an onsite inspection must take place to confirm the residence is unsafe, unsecure, unsanitary, unfit for human occupancy or poses risks to the community such as a fire hazard. If the property is found to be in this condition, a resolution is brought before the trustees, and they decide the next course of action. Usually, this is asking the owners of the property to clean and make necessary repairs or tear the property down. If the repairs do not occur within a reasonable time frame, a public hearing may be held. Eventually, the township may take matters into its own hands, declare the property condemned and hire a company to demolish the structure.
Trustees voted 2-0, with Trustee Elaina Goodrich not present, to condemn two properties located at 685 Lois Drive and 1500 N. Revere Road. Notices will be posted on both properties informing owners the demolition will occur and liens have been put on the properties to cover the costs.
“This doesn’t happen very often,” said Trustee James Nelson. “It’s unfortunate that it [has] come to this, especially for the neighbors at these properties who have to see the disrepair in their backyards every day.”
It was not stated if either property is currently occupied, but Funk implied owners of at least one property are living out of state.
In other business, trustees:
- were informed Administrator Vito Sinopoli met with Summit County Council in regards to legislation in the county giving law enforcement the ability to charge solicitors, peddlers and canvassers who don’t comply with the county’s ordinances regarding those activities with criminal penalties. County Council approved the change Sept. 30 [for more on that, see “County Council OKs criminal solicitor penalties” in the Oct. 3, 2013, West Side Leader, or visit the archives at www.akron.com];
- approved the hiring of Rochelle Bolton for the full-time position as Bath Fire Department administrative assistant with a vote of 2-0. Bolton is a Revere High School graduate and has a medical background that will be key in her new position, according to Fire Chief Walter Hower;
- were informed by Funk that a Jimmy John’s is coming to the West Market Plaza next to HoneyBaked Ham; and
- were informed the steps and the observation/fishing deck at the Bath Nature Preserve have all been completed and are ready for public use, according to the Assistant Service Director/Park Director Michael Rorar. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held as part of the Fall Into Nature event Oct. 12.
The Board of Trustees next meeting will be Oct. 21 at 4 p.m. in the trustees’ meeting room of the Bath Administration Building, 3864 W. Bath Road.
More Community News
- Moneypenny ready to take mayor’s seat
- Copley celebrates Memorial Day
- Founders’ Day will mark AA’s 80th year
- Shy shares credit for park district successes
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley asks Ohio Supreme Court to hear Rothrock appeal
- Historic designation sought for Keyser property
- Copley trustees approve building replacement
- Richfield police chief warns residents about burglars
- Richfield trustees discuss Crowell Hilaka property use
- Council reviews rebids for Central Park
- Green celebrates Memorial Day
- New Franklin sinks idea for Tudor House dock
- Green assistant fire chief retiring
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Kinderealm: Migration: for ages 3-6 - 5/29/2015
- Cuyahoga Valley Photographic Society - 5/29/2015
- Any Way You Want It with Broken Promise - 5/29/2015
- Full Moon Fever with Mo Mojo - 5/29/2015
- A New Adventure - 5/30/2015