St. George Church honoring anniversaries of pastor
|Photo courtesy of Sam Salem|
Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of Englewood, N.J., primate of the Archdiocese since 1966, will help honor the Very Rev. Louis Mahshie, who this year is marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination, the 35th anniversary as pastor of Akron St. George Orthodox Church and the 50th anniversary of his marriage to the former Corinne Esber, who serves as Sunday School co-director. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. Accompanying Saliba will be Bishop Anthony Michaels, head of the Toledo-Midwest Diocese.
Shown at right are Louis and Corinne Mahshie.
Weekend events at the church, located at 3204 Ridgewood Road, include:
- Tomorrow, Oct. 11, hors d’oeuvres at 6 p.m. and a buffet at 6:30 p.m. with a cash bar, followed by a three-act patriotic musical play, “We Left as Many, Arrived as One,” at 7:30 p.m. featuring church members and youth. The evening will conclude with fellowship, DJ music and dancing.
- Oct. 12, brunch at 10 a.m., followed by Saliba and Michaels meeting with church youth. A vesper service will take place at 6 p.m., followed by the grand banquet honoring the Mahshies. A reception with a cash bar will take place at 7 p.m., and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 13, Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by Saliba at 10:30 a.m. followed by a farewell brunch.
For reservations, call St. George Church at 330-666-7116.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014