St. George Church honoring anniversaries of pastor
|Photo courtesy of Sam Salem|
Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of Englewood, N.J., primate of the Archdiocese since 1966, will help honor the Very Rev. Louis Mahshie, who this year is marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination, the 35th anniversary as pastor of Akron St. George Orthodox Church and the 50th anniversary of his marriage to the former Corinne Esber, who serves as Sunday School co-director. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. Accompanying Saliba will be Bishop Anthony Michaels, head of the Toledo-Midwest Diocese.
Shown at right are Louis and Corinne Mahshie.
Weekend events at the church, located at 3204 Ridgewood Road, include:
- Tomorrow, Oct. 11, hors d’oeuvres at 6 p.m. and a buffet at 6:30 p.m. with a cash bar, followed by a three-act patriotic musical play, “We Left as Many, Arrived as One,” at 7:30 p.m. featuring church members and youth. The evening will conclude with fellowship, DJ music and dancing.
- Oct. 12, brunch at 10 a.m., followed by Saliba and Michaels meeting with church youth. A vesper service will take place at 6 p.m., followed by the grand banquet honoring the Mahshies. A reception with a cash bar will take place at 7 p.m., and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 13, Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by Saliba at 10:30 a.m. followed by a farewell brunch.
For reservations, call St. George Church at 330-666-7116.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 8/27/2014
- Tai Chi for those touched by cancer - 8/27/2014
- Pilates - 8/27/2014
- “Divergent” - 8/28/2014
- 11th Annual Juried Fiber Arts Show - 8/29/2014