St. George Church honoring anniversaries of pastor
|Photo courtesy of Sam Salem|
Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of Englewood, N.J., primate of the Archdiocese since 1966, will help honor the Very Rev. Louis Mahshie, who this year is marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination, the 35th anniversary as pastor of Akron St. George Orthodox Church and the 50th anniversary of his marriage to the former Corinne Esber, who serves as Sunday School co-director. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. Accompanying Saliba will be Bishop Anthony Michaels, head of the Toledo-Midwest Diocese.
Shown at right are Louis and Corinne Mahshie.
Weekend events at the church, located at 3204 Ridgewood Road, include:
- Tomorrow, Oct. 11, hors d’oeuvres at 6 p.m. and a buffet at 6:30 p.m. with a cash bar, followed by a three-act patriotic musical play, “We Left as Many, Arrived as One,” at 7:30 p.m. featuring church members and youth. The evening will conclude with fellowship, DJ music and dancing.
- Oct. 12, brunch at 10 a.m., followed by Saliba and Michaels meeting with church youth. A vesper service will take place at 6 p.m., followed by the grand banquet honoring the Mahshies. A reception with a cash bar will take place at 7 p.m., and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 13, Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by Saliba at 10:30 a.m. followed by a farewell brunch.
For reservations, call St. George Church at 330-666-7116.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014