St. George Church honoring anniversaries of pastor
|Photo courtesy of Sam Salem|
Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of Englewood, N.J., primate of the Archdiocese since 1966, will help honor the Very Rev. Louis Mahshie, who this year is marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination, the 35th anniversary as pastor of Akron St. George Orthodox Church and the 50th anniversary of his marriage to the former Corinne Esber, who serves as Sunday School co-director. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. Accompanying Saliba will be Bishop Anthony Michaels, head of the Toledo-Midwest Diocese.
Shown at right are Louis and Corinne Mahshie.
Weekend events at the church, located at 3204 Ridgewood Road, include:
- Tomorrow, Oct. 11, hors d’oeuvres at 6 p.m. and a buffet at 6:30 p.m. with a cash bar, followed by a three-act patriotic musical play, “We Left as Many, Arrived as One,” at 7:30 p.m. featuring church members and youth. The evening will conclude with fellowship, DJ music and dancing.
- Oct. 12, brunch at 10 a.m., followed by Saliba and Michaels meeting with church youth. A vesper service will take place at 6 p.m., followed by the grand banquet honoring the Mahshies. A reception with a cash bar will take place at 7 p.m., and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 13, Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by Saliba at 10:30 a.m. followed by a farewell brunch.
For reservations, call St. George Church at 330-666-7116.
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
- Council introduces vicious dog legislation
- Bulldog Dash raises funds for Green schools
- Springfield district seeking renewal of two levies
- County Council holds public hearing for sewer project
- Council districts subject of opposing ballot issues
- South Side News & Notes
- Summer sewer rate discussed in Akron
Calendar of Events
- “Cheaper by the Dozen” - 10/10/2015
- Read to the Dogs - 10/10/2015
- Fall Family Outing - 10/10/2015
- Akron Symphony Orchestra: The Music of John Williams - 10/10/2015
- Katt Williams - 10/10/2015