St. George Church honoring anniversaries of pastor
|Photo courtesy of Sam Salem|
Metropolitan Philip Saliba, of Englewood, N.J., primate of the Archdiocese since 1966, will help honor the Very Rev. Louis Mahshie, who this year is marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination, the 35th anniversary as pastor of Akron St. George Orthodox Church and the 50th anniversary of his marriage to the former Corinne Esber, who serves as Sunday School co-director. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. Accompanying Saliba will be Bishop Anthony Michaels, head of the Toledo-Midwest Diocese.
Shown at right are Louis and Corinne Mahshie.
Weekend events at the church, located at 3204 Ridgewood Road, include:
- Tomorrow, Oct. 11, hors d’oeuvres at 6 p.m. and a buffet at 6:30 p.m. with a cash bar, followed by a three-act patriotic musical play, “We Left as Many, Arrived as One,” at 7:30 p.m. featuring church members and youth. The evening will conclude with fellowship, DJ music and dancing.
- Oct. 12, brunch at 10 a.m., followed by Saliba and Michaels meeting with church youth. A vesper service will take place at 6 p.m., followed by the grand banquet honoring the Mahshies. A reception with a cash bar will take place at 7 p.m., and dinner at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 13, Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by Saliba at 10:30 a.m. followed by a farewell brunch.
For reservations, call St. George Church at 330-666-7116.
More Community News
- Mock crash reminds students of risks
- Akron rolls out medical marijuana plan
- Akron Council, BOE delve into issues
- Author ties together causes of opiate epidemic
- Yellow Creek watershed advocates move forward
- West Side News & Notes
- Area Girl Scouts take part in World Thinking Day
- LeBron James announces plan for new Akron school
- Summit first autism-friendly county in Ohio
- Boston BZA fees going up
- BCF launches fundraiser
- Council chambers receives electronic upgrades
- Bath trustees authorize new parking lot design
- Library levy before Medina County voters
- Sharon officials discuss spring projects
- Bright ‘Roland’ back at library
- Venturing Crew clears trail preserve
- Lakemore gearing up for police department
- Author ties together causes of opiate problem
- Coventry Schools levy renewal ‘crucial’ for district
- Township officials addressing opiate epidemic
- Coventry fire department utilizing grant money
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield trustees move to demolish garage
Calendar of Events
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 4/24/2017
- The Art of Journaling; Men Facing Grief Support Group - 4/24/2017
- Fiction Book Club: “Truly Madly Guilty” - 4/25/2017
- Yoga for Homeschoolers: ages 8-12 - 4/25/2017
- PiYo with Morgan Webb - 4/25/2017