Forest Lodge gets new patio thanks to Scouts, volunteers
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Davis|
The new patio is the work of about 50 community volunteers and city of Akron workers who committed a recent Saturday morning, Sept. 14, to the neighborhood improvement project.
Knights of Columbus families from neighboring St. Sebastian Parish, volunteers from nearby block watch groups, members of Boy Scout Troup No. 96 and city workers created the patio from used street brick, donated and delivered to the site by the city. Also pitching in were City Council members Marilyn Keith (D-Ward 8) and Russ Neal (D-Ward 4) and Akron’s Director of Neighborhood Assistance, John Valle.
Acting under the supervision of Firestone High School senior Chris Morris, who coordinated the effort as his Eagle Scout project, the volunteers also installed new mulch for the park’s two playground areas and several flowerbeds. Keep Akron Beautiful provided the tools through its Community Pride trailer, and West Akron Baseball League officers provided lunch for the workers when they wrapped up.
Shown above, Chris thanks some of the 50 volunteers who laid the brick patio.
Valle, who helped bring the groups together as a community-building activity, cited the event as the city’s largest such activity of the year.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014