Forest Lodge gets new patio thanks to Scouts, volunteers
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Davis|
The new patio is the work of about 50 community volunteers and city of Akron workers who committed a recent Saturday morning, Sept. 14, to the neighborhood improvement project.
Knights of Columbus families from neighboring St. Sebastian Parish, volunteers from nearby block watch groups, members of Boy Scout Troup No. 96 and city workers created the patio from used street brick, donated and delivered to the site by the city. Also pitching in were City Council members Marilyn Keith (D-Ward 8) and Russ Neal (D-Ward 4) and Akron’s Director of Neighborhood Assistance, John Valle.
Acting under the supervision of Firestone High School senior Chris Morris, who coordinated the effort as his Eagle Scout project, the volunteers also installed new mulch for the park’s two playground areas and several flowerbeds. Keep Akron Beautiful provided the tools through its Community Pride trailer, and West Akron Baseball League officers provided lunch for the workers when they wrapped up.
Shown above, Chris thanks some of the 50 volunteers who laid the brick patio.
Valle, who helped bring the groups together as a community-building activity, cited the event as the city’s largest such activity of the year.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014