Forest Lodge gets new patio thanks to Scouts, volunteers
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Davis|
The new patio is the work of about 50 community volunteers and city of Akron workers who committed a recent Saturday morning, Sept. 14, to the neighborhood improvement project.
Knights of Columbus families from neighboring St. Sebastian Parish, volunteers from nearby block watch groups, members of Boy Scout Troup No. 96 and city workers created the patio from used street brick, donated and delivered to the site by the city. Also pitching in were City Council members Marilyn Keith (D-Ward 8) and Russ Neal (D-Ward 4) and Akron’s Director of Neighborhood Assistance, John Valle.
Acting under the supervision of Firestone High School senior Chris Morris, who coordinated the effort as his Eagle Scout project, the volunteers also installed new mulch for the park’s two playground areas and several flowerbeds. Keep Akron Beautiful provided the tools through its Community Pride trailer, and West Akron Baseball League officers provided lunch for the workers when they wrapped up.
Shown above, Chris thanks some of the 50 volunteers who laid the brick patio.
Valle, who helped bring the groups together as a community-building activity, cited the event as the city’s largest such activity of the year.
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- Plein Air Exhibition - 7/30/2015
- “Jupiter Ascending” - 7/30/2015
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 7/30/2015
- Mostly Blues Band with Peggy Coyle - 7/30/2015
- “Hairspray” - 7/31/2015