Forest Lodge gets new patio thanks to Scouts, volunteers
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Davis|
The new patio is the work of about 50 community volunteers and city of Akron workers who committed a recent Saturday morning, Sept. 14, to the neighborhood improvement project.
Knights of Columbus families from neighboring St. Sebastian Parish, volunteers from nearby block watch groups, members of Boy Scout Troup No. 96 and city workers created the patio from used street brick, donated and delivered to the site by the city. Also pitching in were City Council members Marilyn Keith (D-Ward 8) and Russ Neal (D-Ward 4) and Akron’s Director of Neighborhood Assistance, John Valle.
Acting under the supervision of Firestone High School senior Chris Morris, who coordinated the effort as his Eagle Scout project, the volunteers also installed new mulch for the park’s two playground areas and several flowerbeds. Keep Akron Beautiful provided the tools through its Community Pride trailer, and West Akron Baseball League officers provided lunch for the workers when they wrapped up.
Shown above, Chris thanks some of the 50 volunteers who laid the brick patio.
Valle, who helped bring the groups together as a community-building activity, cited the event as the city’s largest such activity of the year.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014