Forest Lodge gets new patio thanks to Scouts, volunteers
|Photo courtesy of Jeff Davis|
The new patio is the work of about 50 community volunteers and city of Akron workers who committed a recent Saturday morning, Sept. 14, to the neighborhood improvement project.
Knights of Columbus families from neighboring St. Sebastian Parish, volunteers from nearby block watch groups, members of Boy Scout Troup No. 96 and city workers created the patio from used street brick, donated and delivered to the site by the city. Also pitching in were City Council members Marilyn Keith (D-Ward 8) and Russ Neal (D-Ward 4) and Akron’s Director of Neighborhood Assistance, John Valle.
Acting under the supervision of Firestone High School senior Chris Morris, who coordinated the effort as his Eagle Scout project, the volunteers also installed new mulch for the park’s two playground areas and several flowerbeds. Keep Akron Beautiful provided the tools through its Community Pride trailer, and West Akron Baseball League officers provided lunch for the workers when they wrapped up.
Shown above, Chris thanks some of the 50 volunteers who laid the brick patio.
Valle, who helped bring the groups together as a community-building activity, cited the event as the city’s largest such activity of the year.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Richfield celebrates annual Community Day
- James keeps focus on today’s youth at rally
- County Council committees back at work
- Heritage Woods residents ask for four-way stop at intersection
- Falls Council OKs contract to bring Menards to Graham Road
- Peninsula planning commission meetings moved
- Council addresses return of Richfield School bell
- Plans for administration building still being worked out
- Granger trustees considering proposal for conservatory
- Inaugural race, walk benefitting Akron Children’s PICU
- Elms students volunteer in New York
- West Side News & Notes
- Familiar face heading up Highland athletics
- Woodridge looking forward to competitive season
Calendar of Events
- Norma Wagner Uray: Fashion Illustrations - 8/21/2014
- Highland Book Club: “Trains and Lovers,” by Alexander McCall Smith - 8/21/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 8/21/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 8/21/2014
- GriefCare Place - 8/21/2014