Volunteers give area cemetery TLC
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
John Eaton, customer service administrator for the city of Akron, said many people were motivated to help at the cemetery after local media attention showed the state of the site, which is one of Akron’s oldest cemeteries. He added that about 70 people came out on Saturday to work, piling up 16 yards of tree debris and gathering 55 bags of trash.
Lending a hand that day were Uniontown resident Ed Cikity, Green resident Lynn Cikity and Norton resident Paula Cikity, who are shown at top right, from left, as they pull a tarp of debris.
Volunteer Edna McNellis, of Coventry, is pictured at bottom right as she carries an armload of debris.
Shown above are Uniontown residents Justin Cikity, at left, and Todd Rager, at right, as they load a wheelbarrow with fill dirt for Milrad Jovich.
While some of the volunteers were family members of those buried at Mount Hope, the cemetery was also one of several sites addressed by youths that day as part of the Big Day of Serving. Group Mission Trips, a nonprofit group, organized the effort that brought teenagers from youth groups and churches throughout Ohio and surrounding states to help with projects at various sites in the city, according to city of Akron officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Helen Welch Trio; Jan Rookard and Ray McCall - 12/3/2016
- Glass Fusing: Make a Tiny Bowl - 12/3/2016
- Illusion Factory’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - 12/3/2016
- Mind Your Own Beeswax Workshop - 12/3/2016
- Women’s Art League Show - 12/3/2016