Volunteers give area cemetery TLC
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
John Eaton, customer service administrator for the city of Akron, said many people were motivated to help at the cemetery after local media attention showed the state of the site, which is one of Akron’s oldest cemeteries. He added that about 70 people came out on Saturday to work, piling up 16 yards of tree debris and gathering 55 bags of trash.
Lending a hand that day were Uniontown resident Ed Cikity, Green resident Lynn Cikity and Norton resident Paula Cikity, who are shown at top right, from left, as they pull a tarp of debris.
Volunteer Edna McNellis, of Coventry, is pictured at bottom right as she carries an armload of debris.
Shown above are Uniontown residents Justin Cikity, at left, and Todd Rager, at right, as they load a wheelbarrow with fill dirt for Milrad Jovich.
While some of the volunteers were family members of those buried at Mount Hope, the cemetery was also one of several sites addressed by youths that day as part of the Big Day of Serving. Group Mission Trips, a nonprofit group, organized the effort that brought teenagers from youth groups and churches throughout Ohio and surrounding states to help with projects at various sites in the city, according to city of Akron officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Democratic mayoral candidates debate
- Buchtel students visit Kenya via biostatistics program
- Grether resigns, special election needed in Norton
- APD officers engaging in ‘park and walk’ effort
- County looking to become more immigrant-friendly
- West Side News & Notes
- Scouts stage ‘buy-in’ to support Circle K
- Bhutanese community learning about Akron
- Service building project to go out for bids
- Copley to award trash hauler contract next month
- Representative discusses services of Renacci’s office
Calendar of Events
- Author Visit: Judith Fertig - 8/27/2015
- “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” - 8/27/2015
- Evil Ways, The Jimi Hendrix Tribute Experience and Ball and Chain - 8/28/2015
- End of Summer Jam with Sir Charles and Wendell B. - 8/28/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Campfire Cooking - 8/28/2015