Volunteers give area cemetery TLC
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
John Eaton, customer service administrator for the city of Akron, said many people were motivated to help at the cemetery after local media attention showed the state of the site, which is one of Akron’s oldest cemeteries. He added that about 70 people came out on Saturday to work, piling up 16 yards of tree debris and gathering 55 bags of trash.
Lending a hand that day were Uniontown resident Ed Cikity, Green resident Lynn Cikity and Norton resident Paula Cikity, who are shown at top right, from left, as they pull a tarp of debris.
Volunteer Edna McNellis, of Coventry, is pictured at bottom right as she carries an armload of debris.
Shown above are Uniontown residents Justin Cikity, at left, and Todd Rager, at right, as they load a wheelbarrow with fill dirt for Milrad Jovich.
While some of the volunteers were family members of those buried at Mount Hope, the cemetery was also one of several sites addressed by youths that day as part of the Big Day of Serving. Group Mission Trips, a nonprofit group, organized the effort that brought teenagers from youth groups and churches throughout Ohio and surrounding states to help with projects at various sites in the city, according to city of Akron officials.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- City plans Rolling Acres demolition
- Hardesty Park event attracts art fans
- Area shines bright during RNC week
- Copley Heritage Days featuring food, music, fun
- Copley students focus on helping North Korean refugees
- West Side News & Notes
- Falls’ leadership responds to police station incident
- Richfield police thankful for support from residents
- Richfield trustees discuss noxious weed enforcement
- Copley trustees weigh police, fire station plans
- Granger fire chief updates trustees on department issues
Calendar of Events
- Nashville Crush with Joshua Surgeon & The Dusty Bottoms - 7/29/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Three Points of View: Art by Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Almost Queen (Queen tribute) with Chris Allen & The Guilty Hearts - 7/29/2016
- Chardon Polka Band - 7/29/2016