Fire departments practice extrications
Coventry Fire Department had 17 participants, Green Fire had four and New Franklin Fire had two. The training offered an opportunity to practice with vehicle stabilization equipment and hydraulic cutters that can cut through a new vehicle’s high-strength steel, according to Coventry Fire Capt. Adam Rockich. He added the group ran through various scenarios on getting victims out of vehicles. Shown at right is one practice using stabilization equipment to keep a vehicle from overturning.
Miller’s Towing provided 10 vehicles for the training, including a converted school bus and a semi-cab with a trailer attached, according to Rockich.
The company also brought its low-pressure air bag system, shown above to demonstrate how it can quickly upright large vehicles.
The Coventry Road Department also took part in the sessions to practice how to use its new grapple attachment for its Gradall, which they purchased with a safety grant, according to Rockich. The equipment can grab cars and fallen trees. The Gradall and grabber arm is pictured below.
— By Maria Lindsay
|Photos courtesy of Coventry Fire Department|
More Community News
- Council districts subject of opposing issues
- Fun in season at Ohio Mart
- Akron expanding Wallhaven business district
- Creator of Portage Path sculptures returning for lecture
- West Side News & Notes
- Veterans get helping hand
- County Council selling bonds for The Village at St. Edward
- Urban Ounce of Prevention festivities mark 25th anniversary
- Work on Route 18 nearing completion for 2015
- Sessions on retirement planned
- Akron SCORE celebrates anniversary
- Bath trustees OK payment for Heritage Corridors project
- Bath Community Fund celebrates success
- Richfield trustees support Issue 22
- Cuyahoga Falls billboards promote medical information program
Calendar of Events
- Cooking Seminar and Happy Hour - 10/8/2015
- Healthy Strides Hike and Talk - 10/8/2015
- National Depression Screening Day - 10/8/2015
- Creative Writing for Homeschoolers: ages 8 to 12 - 10/8/2015
- “Avengers: Age of Ultron” - 10/8/2015