Fire departments practice extrications
Coventry Fire Department had 17 participants, Green Fire had four and New Franklin Fire had two. The training offered an opportunity to practice with vehicle stabilization equipment and hydraulic cutters that can cut through a new vehicle’s high-strength steel, according to Coventry Fire Capt. Adam Rockich. He added the group ran through various scenarios on getting victims out of vehicles. Shown at right is one practice using stabilization equipment to keep a vehicle from overturning.
Miller’s Towing provided 10 vehicles for the training, including a converted school bus and a semi-cab with a trailer attached, according to Rockich.
The company also brought its low-pressure air bag system, shown above to demonstrate how it can quickly upright large vehicles.
The Coventry Road Department also took part in the sessions to practice how to use its new grapple attachment for its Gradall, which they purchased with a safety grant, according to Rockich. The equipment can grab cars and fallen trees. The Gradall and grabber arm is pictured below.
— By Maria Lindsay
|Photos courtesy of Coventry Fire Department|
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 3/12/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 3/12/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/13/2014
- St. Pat’s Benefit Card Party - 3/13/2014
- Revere Relay for Life Night - 3/13/2014