Fire departments practice extrications
Coventry Fire Department had 17 participants, Green Fire had four and New Franklin Fire had two. The training offered an opportunity to practice with vehicle stabilization equipment and hydraulic cutters that can cut through a new vehicle’s high-strength steel, according to Coventry Fire Capt. Adam Rockich. He added the group ran through various scenarios on getting victims out of vehicles. Shown at right is one practice using stabilization equipment to keep a vehicle from overturning.
Miller’s Towing provided 10 vehicles for the training, including a converted school bus and a semi-cab with a trailer attached, according to Rockich.
The company also brought its low-pressure air bag system, shown above to demonstrate how it can quickly upright large vehicles.
The Coventry Road Department also took part in the sessions to practice how to use its new grapple attachment for its Gradall, which they purchased with a safety grant, according to Rockich. The equipment can grab cars and fallen trees. The Gradall and grabber arm is pictured below.
— By Maria Lindsay
|Photos courtesy of Coventry Fire Department|
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014
- “Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter:” - 7/24/2014
- GriefCare Place - 7/24/2014
- Storytime: Lapsit - 7/24/2014