Richfield trustees study fiscal report
When the Richfield Township Board of Trustees met for their regular meeting Oct. 17, Fiscal Officer Laurie Pinney presented the quarterly fiscal report.
“We’re doing quite well,” said Pinney, who is also the township’s zoning inspector and director of planning. “Many areas are reporting more appropriations at this time than were expected.”
One area that has an excess of funds is zoning, which according to Pinney, has about $10,000 more than expected. Because of this, Pinney asked the trustees to approve the reorganization of appropriations in the General Fund so that funds that were allocated to go to zoning are transferred to areas were they are needed. Trustees approved the request 3-0.
Pinney also reported how the Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) and the EMS programs were doing.
So far, the JEDD has collected $15,000 for the township this year, and more is expected to come through the end of the year.
“We’re definitely benefiting from this program,” Pinney said. “This has definitely helped our community in a positive way.”
The EMS program has also been a great source of income for Richfield. According to Pinney, when a Richfield resident is transferred from the township or village to the hospital via ambulance, the patient is billed, but the insurance company takes care of the cost. Whatever is left over after that, if anything, is not collected. However, if the person being transported is not a resident, they are expected to pay the extra cost, thus generating extra income for the community.
“The EMS program has brought in $23,000 this year alone,” Pinney said.
In other business, the trustees:
- approved construction drawings from GPD Group Architects for the new office space at a work session held Oct. 15. According to Trustee Laurie Peters Gilmore, one bathroom in the building was eliminated to create a significant savings. The next step is to collect bids for the contractor to complete the project. The township began accepting bids Oct. 17;
- were informed the Summit County Planning Commission had made amendments to the zoning code that trustees will have to approve. According to Pinney, most of the changes are just updating language that is used. One point of interest Pinney said is currently there are four zoning codes for commercial properties in Richfield; the new code combines them into one. The full text of current zoning codes and proposed changes are available for public view. For more information, call Pinney at 330-659-4700;
- were updated on the road construction project taking place on Interstate 271 and state Route 303. According to Township Administrator Linda Bowmer, the project will continue through 2017, and at times certain parts of roads and bridges may have lane restrictions, but traffic will still be able to pass.
The next Richfield Township trustees’ meeting is scheduled for Nov. 7 at 10 a.m. at the township offices, located behind the fire station on West Streetsboro Road.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014