Springfield Community Path readied for walking
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
The new 6,000-foot trail was funded in part by a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health’s Creating Healthy Communities Program.
The volunteers brought wheelbarrows, rakes and shovels to help spread limestone on the trail, which had been prepared earlier in the week. Shown at right bottom, clockwise from front left, are Springfield resident Janet Mealy, Springfield Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Springfield Local Schools Board of Education member Dan Hofer and Dan Silverstone filling a container with limestone.
Among those who helped spread that limestone on the trail was Rachel Young, her father, Springfield Trustee Dean Young, and Springfield Board of Education member Bobby Dinkins, shown at right top, from left. Bobby Dinkins’ son, Nick Dinkins, is shown at top raking out one corner section of the trail.
Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the volunteers finished 700 to 800 feet of the trail that day, and a 1,200-foot loop around the community garden is now finished.
“There has been a lot of positive response for this trail, and we are doing it at a reasonable cost using volunteers,” he added. “Eventually, we would like to add exercise stations along the trail.”
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Dam removal leads to changes in river
- Menorah lights aglow
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- Akron Council swears in two members early
- Local jumpers jazz up Macy’s Parade
- West Side News & Notes
- Giant Eagle requesting permit to expand beer, wine department
- Norton approves funds for building projects
- Bath trustees OK purchase of land near Bath Center site
- Boston trustees approve police contract with Peninsula
- Granger Fire purchasing equipment for EMS reports
- Sharon trustees continue to debate donations to SPCA
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Fall tax tips from IRS
Calendar of Events
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 12/5/2013
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Messy Playdate! - 12/5/2013
- “Employees’ Entrance” - 12/5/2013
- Papercuts: A Poetic Interplay of Light and Shadow - 12/6/2013