Springfield Community Path readied for walking
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
The new 6,000-foot trail was funded in part by a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health’s Creating Healthy Communities Program.
The volunteers brought wheelbarrows, rakes and shovels to help spread limestone on the trail, which had been prepared earlier in the week. Shown at right bottom, clockwise from front left, are Springfield resident Janet Mealy, Springfield Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Springfield Local Schools Board of Education member Dan Hofer and Dan Silverstone filling a container with limestone.
Among those who helped spread that limestone on the trail was Rachel Young, her father, Springfield Trustee Dean Young, and Springfield Board of Education member Bobby Dinkins, shown at right top, from left. Bobby Dinkins’ son, Nick Dinkins, is shown at top raking out one corner section of the trail.
Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the volunteers finished 700 to 800 feet of the trail that day, and a 1,200-foot loop around the community garden is now finished.
“There has been a lot of positive response for this trail, and we are doing it at a reasonable cost using volunteers,” he added. “Eventually, we would like to add exercise stations along the trail.”
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014