Springfield Community Path readied for walking
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
The new 6,000-foot trail was funded in part by a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health’s Creating Healthy Communities Program.
The volunteers brought wheelbarrows, rakes and shovels to help spread limestone on the trail, which had been prepared earlier in the week. Shown at right bottom, clockwise from front left, are Springfield resident Janet Mealy, Springfield Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Springfield Local Schools Board of Education member Dan Hofer and Dan Silverstone filling a container with limestone.
Among those who helped spread that limestone on the trail was Rachel Young, her father, Springfield Trustee Dean Young, and Springfield Board of Education member Bobby Dinkins, shown at right top, from left. Bobby Dinkins’ son, Nick Dinkins, is shown at top raking out one corner section of the trail.
Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the volunteers finished 700 to 800 feet of the trail that day, and a 1,200-foot loop around the community garden is now finished.
“There has been a lot of positive response for this trail, and we are doing it at a reasonable cost using volunteers,” he added. “Eventually, we would like to add exercise stations along the trail.”
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/29/2015
- Pond Exploration for Kids - 7/29/2015
- Wanda Hunt Band - 7/29/2015
- Retirement Workshop - 7/29/2015
- Family Programming - 7/29/2015