Springfield Community Path readied for walking
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
The new 6,000-foot trail was funded in part by a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health’s Creating Healthy Communities Program.
The volunteers brought wheelbarrows, rakes and shovels to help spread limestone on the trail, which had been prepared earlier in the week. Shown at right bottom, clockwise from front left, are Springfield resident Janet Mealy, Springfield Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Springfield Local Schools Board of Education member Dan Hofer and Dan Silverstone filling a container with limestone.
Among those who helped spread that limestone on the trail was Rachel Young, her father, Springfield Trustee Dean Young, and Springfield Board of Education member Bobby Dinkins, shown at right top, from left. Bobby Dinkins’ son, Nick Dinkins, is shown at top raking out one corner section of the trail.
Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the volunteers finished 700 to 800 feet of the trail that day, and a 1,200-foot loop around the community garden is now finished.
“There has been a lot of positive response for this trail, and we are doing it at a reasonable cost using volunteers,” he added. “Eventually, we would like to add exercise stations along the trail.”
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- State capital improvements issue on ballot
- Blue herons prepare for new arrivals
- West Akron rezoning request withdrawn
- Fundraisers for brain cancer research planned
- Eagle Scouts plan special trip to honor D-Day
- County Council considering raises for employees
- Fairlawn Police Department promotes five officers
- Peninsula Council approves agricultural district renewal
- Bath trustees conduct business for Revere students
- Dates set for annual Richfield community celebration
- Richfield trustees approve settlement for use of crusher
- Copley seeking new bids to raze Community Center
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Chuck Loeb, Everett Harp and Jeff Lorber - 4/25/2014
- Social Texas Hold ‘em for Seniors, - 4/25/2014
- Ballroom Nights - 4/25/2014
- How Sweet Was It? - 4/25/2014
- Akron Symphony Pops Orchestra - 4/25/2014