Springfield Community Path readied for walking
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
The new 6,000-foot trail was funded in part by a $15,500 grant from Summit County Public Health’s Creating Healthy Communities Program.
The volunteers brought wheelbarrows, rakes and shovels to help spread limestone on the trail, which had been prepared earlier in the week. Shown at right bottom, clockwise from front left, are Springfield resident Janet Mealy, Springfield Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Springfield Local Schools Board of Education member Dan Hofer and Dan Silverstone filling a container with limestone.
Among those who helped spread that limestone on the trail was Rachel Young, her father, Springfield Trustee Dean Young, and Springfield Board of Education member Bobby Dinkins, shown at right top, from left. Bobby Dinkins’ son, Nick Dinkins, is shown at top raking out one corner section of the trail.
Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the volunteers finished 700 to 800 feet of the trail that day, and a 1,200-foot loop around the community garden is now finished.
“There has been a lot of positive response for this trail, and we are doing it at a reasonable cost using volunteers,” he added. “Eventually, we would like to add exercise stations along the trail.”
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- Nature Drawing for Kids: ages 6-12 - 1/22/2017
- “Ratatouille” - 1/22/2017
- All Things Rings: Beginner Level - 1/22/2017
- The Lincoln Inaugural Train - 1/23/2017
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017